PDA

View Full Version : Changing Frame, Engine and moving to a new state

Willard
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok so this is a question i have. My engine in my 109 is shot my frame is shot. I have sourced a new 109 3 door frame (well used military) and when i rebuild mine i might put a Diesel in it. Anyone know if Vermont DMV will have a problem with this?

I ask as my ID plate on my series says petrol. My frame serial number will not match, and it will have a diesel in it.

Any help would be great before i drop lots of cash on the Engine. Frame i have no choice.
I in Virginia now an i know this will not be a problem.

Also last question, is want to change to a diesel, any one done this and regret or are happy with it? I figure, parts, adapters, engine and installation (myself) will cost as much as it would to rebuild my 2.25. I am looking at a Mercedes diesel.
Thanks

Willard
03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Never mine i am going to keep the 2.25 and rebuit it or fins a 5 bearing engine.
Someone can delete this thead. thanks

Tim Smith
03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Never mine i am going to keep the 2.25 and rebuit it or fins a 5 bearing engine.
Someone can delete this thead. thanks

No I think this is was fair question...

I can't tell you about Vermont but when I registered my newest rover (1974) here in CT all that I needed to do was show them the serial number. That was it!

He didn't even care if the indicators worked or if the thing spewed raw sewage from the tail pipe.

I'm sure this couldn't be the case nation wide so I'd say check with VT's DMV website to find out what hoops you have to jump through. In here in CT, if it's more than 25 years old they think it's not worth inspecting.

Cheers.

Willard
03-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Tim, thanks

I know this not a problem in VA, i have the Rover registared and plated as Vintage. Over 25 years no emmissions, Vintage plates no inspection unless you drive more than 250 miles from home, to work and so forth.
Good to know about CT.
For VT i will have to keep digging as the DMV website does not tell you much....might have to make a call up there.

jac04
03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I was given the 3rd degree by the CT DMV when I registered my fully restored '63 88". They at first had a problem with the VIN tag being held on by screws instead of rivets. I had to show them the picture in the owner's manual which showed the screws on the VIN tag. Next was the front wheel bearing end play. I have 7.50-16 tires, so the bearing end play looks excessive out at the OD of the tire. I had to show them the workshop manual and the required bearing end play. Then came the brake test. They claimed the balance was off, but the vehicle didn't even have a hint of pull under hard braking. Luckily I brought a wrench to adjust the 'snails' on the brakes. I also got a hard time because there are no windshield washers. I had to explain that they never existed on this vehicle.

Sorry to ramble on, but if you are newly registering a vehicle you may want to be prepared for some of these issues.

Tim Smith
03-16-2007, 07:54 AM
I was given the 3rd degree by the CT DMV when I registered my fully restored '63 88". They at first had a problem with the VIN tag being held on by screws instead of rivets. I had to show them the picture in the owner's manual which showed the screws on the VIN tag. Next was the front wheel bearing end play. I have 7.50-16 tires, so the bearing end play looks excessive out at the OD of the tire. I had to show them the workshop manual and the required bearing end play. Then came the brake test. They claimed the balance was off, but the vehicle didn't even have a hint of pull under hard braking. Luckily I brought a wrench to adjust the 'snails' on the brakes. I also got a hard time because there are no windshield washers. I had to explain that they never existed on this vehicle.

Sorry to ramble on, but if you are newly registering a vehicle you may want to be prepared for some of these issues.

Back in the day I used to get the third degree when registering old vehicles too. But ever since CT decided that cars older than 25 years no longer should have their title mailed back to them, I've had no problems. Like I said, the only inspection I had was to see if the vin number existed (and probably to see if it looked original). No safety inspection at all.

This is the DMV though. They seem to make up the rules as they go along...:mad: