PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Drive Worm Question

slemoine
07-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I have been in the process of rebuilding my transmission and transfer case and have a question that seems simple but has stopped me from finishing. I was hoping someone might have an answer or explanation for me. Along with the green bible I have been taking pictures of every step so it would be easier to remember things if I didn't get to finish what I was working on at any point. Anyways I am putting the speedo worm gear back on and the green bible shows it facing one way while my picture of when I opened it up has it facing the other way so I'm not sure if it was put in incorrectly at some point or I am looking at the book wrong. I will attach the pictures to show what I am talking about. I named them by what they are but just in case the first one is the way it was when I took off the housing and the second is how I think the book says to do it. Any help would be great so I can finish and free up some garage space for the wife. Thanks

bkreutz
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Sometimes these thing make you wonder:D. If no one comes back with a definitive answer, what I would do is to place the gear either way, then slide the housing over it and look down the hole and see if the gear is lining up with the hole, if not, flip the gear over and check again. The driven gear should line up with the drive gear.

cachinfool
07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't know the official answer but to me it appears that it should be as in photo 2. In photo 1 it just looks like the speedo gear is going to be doing a lot of grinding against the bearing race.
just my $0.02

slemoine
07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I was thinking the same thing that it should probably go the way it shows in the second picture because of the possible grinding issues too. But I will try lining it up before and see which way looks better before I seal it up for good.

JackIIA
07-22-2010, 06:15 PM
i also THINK it's (pic#2) where the shaft portion of the worm gear (no teeth on it) is facing toward the transfer case, not out toward you.