PDA

View Full Version : PCV setup

rbonnett
07-22-2010, 08:25 AM
This all started cuz I lost the cap for my oil filler - don't ask :o
When I went to the RN site to look for a new one, I noticed on the same page all sorts of PCV components that my engine doesn't have on it. This is a 2.25 petrol - 1972 SIII.

It does have the vacuum line fittings on both he oil filler pipe and the valve cover cap. There's a tee that connects these together and then feeds into the adapter holding my KN air filter. What I don't have is any of the PCV system components in the line from the oil filler.

Questions:

- Should I have that PCV system in place? IS there some disadvantage to not having one?

- Would it be better to reroute the vacuum line to go to the manifold so it bypasses the carb? The vacuum fitting that connects to the brake booster does have another connection point that is currently plugged off.

Thanks as always

JackIIA
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that second plug on the servo stays blocked. And, you have to figure using the system is better for the environment than none at all, so that's a chit in it's favor. I've heard it keeps the engine bay 'cleaner' too. Don't know on that one.

jac04
07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
The lines from the oil filler pipe and the valve cover cap do different things according to the Green Bible. The oil filler pipe line is a vent, while the valve cover line is an air inlet. Therefore, the lines should not be T'd together.
Check out the diagrams in this thread:
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8777&highlight=crankcase

rbonnett
07-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks all. I'll order the parts to set this up as per the green bible.

alaskajosh
07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
RE: PCV
I had this explained to me but don't fully understand it myself so this may not come off crystal clear. Maybe a mechanic who knows what he's talking about can fill in the blanks here....

Another benefit of a PCV system is that an acidic condensation forms in your crankcase after shutdown (I believe it was) and it's corrosive to bearings (and possibly other components). A PCV system helps keep that ventilated off. It was this explanation, not the environmental one, that convinced me to create a PCV system where there hadn't been previously.