PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 diesel

nategracie808
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first thread, but I have been lurking for quite a while.

Anyways, I am looking to buy a 2a diesel, and the owner says that the diesel has been sitting in the tank for a few years. What should I do about it?Is there a purge? Do I have to pull the tank? What do you guys think? TIA!!!!

Nate

albersj51
07-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't know anything about the diesel engines, so take this with a grain of salt. I know my 2.25 petrol has a drain plug for the gas tank so you can drain the fuel. I would assume the gas tanks are the same but I don't know. Also, mine is under the passenger seat but you may have a rear tank. Good luck!

ignotus
07-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Nate,

You don't say where you are but if the fuel has been subject to extreme hot and/or cold, or been more than 1/2 year it is best to drain it out.
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank, under the right side seat. You probably want to lift the seat out, take off the metal panel held in by 6 screws. This will give you access to the top of the tank. Then pull out the fuel sender unit (round with wires attached). Now you can see inside the tank. Full? Dirty? If full you need to have something to hold all that diesel. You may want to siphon some out of the top into buckets or cans to take to the recycling center before you open the bottom.
After you clean everything out don't forget to manually operate the fuel lift pump to get fuel to the filter and injector pump. Bleeding each in succession.

bpj911
07-23-2010, 06:40 AM
If it's in the tank and the cap was on the whole time I would just run it. Diesel lasts a long time. Maybe open the drain on level ground and see if you get any water but aside from that just run it. Mine is diesel and I run used, filtered oil and transmission fluid at about 50% when it's available to me. Pretty versatile machine that way.

I Leak Oil
07-23-2010, 07:21 AM
If it's been a few years I'd drain the tank, try to purge the lines change the filter then add new fuel. Hopefully nothing spawned in the fuel and you won't have change the lines.