PDA

View Full Version : Safari Hardtop

RoverForm
07-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know the average price for a SIIa 88 Safari top in good condition, but without the rear door?

Does $850 sound reasonable?

mongoswede
07-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know the average price for a SIIa 88 Safari top in good condition, but without the rear door?

Does $850 sound reasonable?

Pretty much impossible to say. Just because I wouldn't pay that much for an 88" roof doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't. I seem to come across piles of rover parts for relatively little money.

Terrys
07-23-2010, 01:47 PM
If it has the sunsheet and vents, it seems pretty high to me, but if doesn't it seems like highway robbery.

RoverForm
07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I think it's high.

It has the sunscreen, liner, vents, glass and looks to be in good condition, missing the seals and the rear door.

What would be a good offer for it?

printjunky
07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Roofs seem to be all over the place, price-wise. Nice ones go as high as a grand it seems, and I recently saw a couple going for MUCH less somewhere. And I've noticed just about every price in between.

Unless there were mitigating condition factors (on the high or low end) and unless I were desperate for some reason, I'd probably start at $250, and go as high as $500 for a serviceable roof. You'll eventually find one in that range, guaranteed.

One example (non-trop):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-88-hard-top-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5d264785QQitemZ13041 1808645QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

gambrinus
07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
$850 for a safari roof with a headliner that's in good shape may be a touch on the high side... but:

how far is it from you? If it's close enough to drive over, have a look at it and load it up and drive off, it may be a good option. You may find one for $600 on the other side of the country. Great. How much to ship it? Will the seller be willing to screw around with shipping? Just some things to consider.

RW

RoverForm
07-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Good points.

The top is roughly 15-20 miles away. I don't have the LR yet to screw it on so picking it up may be an effort. The seller may have someone who can deliver it, so there is some convenience.

But I should probably wait until I buy the LR first so I can just drive it up topless and bolt it on right there.

I was thinking of offering $650... What do you think?

Here's the info from the seller:

"*** ONLY THE HARDTOP IS FOR SALE ****** Regretably, I sold my 1967 Series IIa 88 inch a few years ago. Never go around putting the hardtop on.
Color: Green with Beige Tropical top ((( Very rare & difficult to find )))
Liner: Incredibly, looks excellent and very very clean!
Vents: Functional with some chips on the paint
Dome Light: Functional and wired
Rust: Interior superficial rust in some areas, a nice sanding will do.
Needs: New gaskets and seals.

Not included:
Rear door or mounting hardware ((( you can get the mounting hardware at the local hardware store - simple nuts & bolts )))
Price: $850.00 for a quick sale

Shipping: Sorry, will NOT ship myself. You can arrange to have it picked up, ONLY & AFTER full payment is cleared (hint hint you scammers out there). I may know someone who can deliver within 20 miles at a fee (((fee unknown)))."

gambrinus
07-24-2010, 12:34 AM
If it's complete and the headliner doesn't have any tears or stains... I'd go $750 cash on the table. Only because it's so close.