PDA

View Full Version : How do you price a landy?

DuckDoc
07-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi All,

I am new in these parts, but glad to be here! I would really like some help and would appreciate any guidance at all.

I am thinking of selling two of my landys to fund the purchase of a newer one, but have no idea how to price either one of them.

I have looked around quite a bit but cannot find any way or any idea of how to come up with a reasonable price....so, help please!

At the moment, I'm only thinking about selling them.....the reason why I haven't posted pics.

The first one to go will be my 1985 90. It is a factory built lhd vehicle and has a newly rebuilt 300tdi engine which I bought from an engineer in England who is nothing short of a craftsman....a true work of art of an engine. It also has a reconditioned 5 speed gearbox, newly fitted galvanised chassis, newly installed air con, newly painted in and out; uprated dash, new trim fitted to all panels and new headlining and carpets. New leather seats in the front, and two centrally mounted matching seats in the rear; it's also about to have the panoramic windows fitted (the vehicle is dark green). However, I have no idea how to price it. It looks and behaves like a newish vehicle.....as much as a 25 year old truck could......however, I would really like a truck with auto transmission as my daily driver so that I can persuade my wife to drive it, so have my eye on a colleague's truck. He's looking to sell in October, so, I would probably look at selling my truck in September. My vehicle has done almost 1,000 miles since the complete rebuild. It was a 70k mile vehicle before the rebuild.

The other I am thinking of selling is my 1985 prototype. It is incredibly rare, one of the rarest military defenders in existence......and, seats aside, quite original. Only 33k km from new on it's 2.5 NA diesel engine, it is the forerunner of the pathfinder and thought to be only one of two produced, however, I just cannot justify having a two seater. It's wonderful as the vehicle dismantles in minutes as most of it's parts are removable. It's not like a lightweight at all, as, on viewing, it looks just like any other soft top military 90.....it's just not like any other, and, it is a factory lhd vehicle. I have currently lent the vehicle to a museum for research, but hope to have it back soon. It's in it's original military guise, however, it has no rust or rot, solid bulkhead and waxoyl chassis. Only driven about 300 miles a year for each of the last ten years, but looked after like a baby for each of those years. Any idea about what it could be worth?

TIA

Tim Smith
07-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Not being much help here I know but you just have to post some pictures of those trucks. The prototype sounds so strange that you just have to do the research on it to find out it's history in return for a better sale price.

jac04
07-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I would love to see some pictures of the prototype (actually, of both vehicles). Where are you located? I have been considering selling my Lightweight to buy a D90.

Also, are you a member of EMLRA? If not, I'm sure they would very much like to see pictures & more info on the prototype.

kevkon
07-25-2010, 08:01 PM
You shouldn't have any problem wirh the D-90, there are ample comps to look at for pricing. It will just be a matter of deciding whether you want a quick sale or whether to wait for a top price.
The prototype is a completely different story.

DuckDoc
07-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll post some pics of the prototype later today....will dig some out.

I have been hesitant to do much to the prototype except for keeping it well maintained/serviced and ensuring the waxoyl is tip top. The museum who have been helping me with it have told me that any work may ruin what is an original vehicle.

As far as pricing my refurbed landy, I just can't work out how to price it. I am not desperate for a sale, indeed, I have not worked out if I even want to sell it as it is such a great vehicle. I guess I will have done something like 3k miles on the new engine, gearbox and chassis when and if I do sell it.

I can't determine what is a comparable vehicle, and even when I can, prices seem to varied. Clearly, I have looked at examples here, and examples on ebay. I have put a lot of money into the refurb, however, I just can't see how something 25/26 years old can be worth the money being asked. To tell the truth, I look at a lot of the vehicles posted on the forum here, and I can't imagine the prices being asked can be achieved....or am I just wrong?

I've looked at ebay, and, at the moment, the two cheapest 1983-1985 Left hand drive (not RHD) vehicles available are $30k (reserve not met, and no bids) and $42-ish (but with a best offer facility), however, mine is in much better shape than either.....and really, I can't imagine these vehicles being worth that much. I paid £16k GBP for the refurb, €6k Euros for the factory built lhd vehicle, and an extra $4k on other upgrades and air con. Also, importing costs too. However, I don't think the vehicle can be worth what I put into it just a few months ago.....however, that being said, I can't imagine that the truck that has caught my eye, my colleague's 110, is worth over $50k!

Realistically though, I think the 90 is too small for our family's needs, and my wife refusing to try to drive a manual transmission is a real headache.....I just feel like this vehicle was a huge project, and I don't want all that time and money benefitting someone apart from me!

kevkon
07-26-2010, 07:12 AM
There are only so many NAS D-90 s to go around. If yours is in as good a shape as you say, has a tdi motor, and all the proper paperwork, $30k to $40k would be very realistic even in this economy.

DuckDoc
07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Apologies for the delay in posting pics of the prototype. I had to go away at short notice.......

As stated previously, I've not done anything to this vehicle. I had bought a custom made galvanised chassis for it and had it stamped and shipped here, had a new galvanised custom made bulkhead for it and custom made doors, wings, hood, dash, etc, but, as per the advice of the expert, not touched it at all. I even have a custom engineered engine for it, based upon the 300tdi and a specially engineered gearbox for it, but again, it remains unfitted as with the rest of the parts. I have a garage full of parts for it though.

I am, however, going to have it resprayed soon, but not sure if I should do anything else to it.

The first pic shows the front and it's reduced size bumper.

The second shot shows a close up of the removable rear wings.

The third, I am told (clearly, I did not take the pic) is from when it was disassembled and placed in a flight crate.

If anyone wants to see some more images, including the latches to remove the body parts, drop me a note and I will send them to you.

As you know, my vehicle is prototype number two, and, apparently, rather rare!

jac04
07-28-2010, 08:20 PM
When you decide, please let me know what you are looking to get for the prototype (assuming you are leaving the body "as-is" without having it re-sprayed).

Tim Smith
07-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Being a layman, looking at that flight crate picture, it looks like they used the folding sides just for transport. This makes me think the truck was designed for a specific cargo bay, which also makes me think it belonged to a pretty specific unit that was using that specific plane which required the truck to be modified to get that extra couple of inches.

Any idea what unit that truck was designed for? Or maybe they designed that truck to replace all military trucks with the hopes of gaining more space in the cargo holds? :confused:

DuckDoc
07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
JAC04.....You know, I have no idea what it is worth in the present condition.....I can't even speculate what it is worth in it's present condition....so, unless I can come up with a figure, I have no idea how to sell it!

Tim, I have to agree with you regarding those few extra inches.....the removable section runs all the way to the back, up to the rear pick up door (I'll have a dig around at the weekend if I can find some snaps where I stripped the whole thing down); the doors have a quick release too and the roll bar can come off within a few minutes as well.....but I have little idea about the actual crate or the aircraft. All I know about it is that it was the forerunner of the Pathfinder and designed as a piggyback vehicle; it was assigned for testing to British Special Forces.....specifically to the SAS during it's test period when it was first used by the DRA (the Defence Research Agency) and then JATEU (the Joint Air Transport Evaluation Unit). What I find especially curious though, is that it is a Left Hand Drive!

A British collector who is interested in acquiring it for his private collection suggested to me that it is the only surviving prototype of this particular model. I am not sure if that is true though as I don't know how many were produced, but I do know that this is prototype number two. I have some more papers to look through regarding the current research being undertaken, so will eagerly await the extra findings!

DuckDoc
09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
I was made some interesting offers on the prototype on my recent trip to Europe. Mostly, they were trades, and one was a cash offer from a dealer at one of the main Land Rover dealerships. I'm not sure if I should accept an offer or ship it back.

Before I bought it, I had a vision for it. Now, as I don't want to molest it, I have no idea what I should do with it. I do love it, but I now have 7 trucks!

Come on.....please help me decide what to do. None of my friends understand......heathens who do not understand land rovers!