X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim Smith
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

Unidentified transmission and transfercase

I have a couple of transmissions and transfercases that were part of a parts buy and today I decided to open them up and see if they are any good. So far they all look standard to me but this one. I first noticed the difference by looking at the end cap on the transfercase. Instead of being concave as I'm used to seeing, it actually bulges out a little bit. After taking that off, I can see a couple of things different:
    • The output shaft on the transmission is actually longer than normal. In fact, the shaft is flush with the end of the transfercase.
    • The gear riding on the transmission output gear is mounted about half way out instead all the way back nearer the transmission side.
    • The transfercase has an additional gear mounted on the intermediate cluster. I can see the standard gear also in there back behind this gear but I imagine this gear was introduced to pick up the moved transmission output gear (and the new gearing)
    • The output gear on this transmission has 25 teeth. The standard box I have sitting next to it has 27.

Here are some pictures of the get up.
    The odd transmission:

A regular old transmission and transfercase:

Here are those two end caps, side by side.

Could this be a IIB transmission and transfercase? Maybe a stage 1 v8? I've just never seen this setup before.
  • Tim Smith
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

Deeper down the rabbit hole.

Comment

• rwollschlager
      5th Gear
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Tim Smith
      Could this be a IIB transmission and transfercase? Maybe a stage 1 v8? I've just never seen this setup before.
      The stage 1 V8 came with the lt95 box from the early range rover.
      My best guess (could be wrong..) is that this is a low-ratio setup found in 1-ton pickups and IIRC the IIB forward control. Good find!

-Rob
      ------------------------------------------------
      72 SIII 88
      67 SIIA 109
      82 SIII Stage 1 V8
      -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• Tim Smith
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Oh, I just found the serial number: 24600658. Is there a source book to look this up against? Google isn't helping me too much here.

Agreed. This is definitely a low ratio box. It would be nice to figure out which one. I don't think I will need to keep it for any reason so it would help to identify it for a buyer.

I did find this which is helpful.

Comment

• Bud
          Low Range
          • Dec 2006

That would be an All-Helical, or 1-ton tranny/tcase.

Comment

Working...