PDA

View Full Version : '66 109 wiring question

drc123
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Bought a '66 109 to restore.

Have a wiring question (on a component beside the voltage regulator).

Attached photo shows wires connected to a couple of fuses and below that three green wires that look like they were at one time connected to a couple of screws on a grey cube shaped component.

Could someone tell me what the grey component is/does and which green wires land on which screw?

Photo of the 109 is also attached.

HybridIIA
07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
It is the choke/mixture switch. It will give power to the Solex heating element when the choke is pulled out. Also, it turns on the dash amber warning light when the truck is warmed up as a reminder to push the choke back in. Try and get a hold of a wiring diagram as it will show where the wires go pretty clearly - if I remember correctly, the RN parts catalog has a diagram in it.

chrismccarthy
07-27-2010, 09:15 AM
a liitle off the topic, but, whoa doggies, that looks like my wiring! i am considering using some sort of covering to prevent further problems(?). Is there any worries about such wires working, given that there is little covering them?

Momo
07-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Chris, I have found the main problem with ratty original wiring is that is is brittle, and the connections become cold welded over time... and when you need to separate them the bullets break off as they are fairly fragile. another problem is that oily, dirty old wiring is not fun to trace faults on since the color coding is pretty buggered. Finally, all the wiring is usually pretty brittle. Short of replacing the whole loom, the best thing you can do is go through all your connectors one by one and ever so carefully separate, clean, wrap it all in heat shrink and reconnect using dielectric grease. Poor electrical contacts can make for weird gremlins.