PDA

View Full Version : Original Sidemarker Lense Value Question

enovey
07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Any ideas on the going price for a set of the 4" amber lamp assemblies and the lucas red sidemarker lamp assemblies? Please assume that lenses are not cracked and are in working order.
These items are no longer available from rover and I was just curious what they are worth.
thanks

mongoswede
07-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Any ideas on the going price for a set of the 4" amber lamp assemblies and the lucas red sidemarker lamp assemblies? Please assume that lenses are not cracked and are in working order.
These items are no longer available from rover and I was just curious what they are worth.
thanks

probably somewhere between about $50 to $15000 depending on how rich and drunk the perspective buyer is :D

Apis Mellifera
07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
You can find them pretty easy at swap meets for around $10 each. Like most Lucas lights, they were used on other cars; Spitfire, Midget, Elan etc. I saw new rubber bits at Carlisle this year too. That used to be the hard part to find.

printjunky
07-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Some of the Rover specific vendors seem to think these are made out of platinum. RDS has reds for $85, Ambers for $105. And Brit NW implies some similar rarity, but I agree with Apis, these are not quite that rare. Or shouldn't be. I might check UK sources before shelling $85 each.

printjunky
07-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Maybe I'm wrong. Mybe they are that rare.

Moss has them for like $145 for a Spitfire (though they have the same light listed for a midget or Sprite for $100 (might be a red/amber difference, dunno).

Apparently these were also used on 70s/80s V8 Aston Martins.

I can't find anything less than about $100. Guess when I do, I'll go with the Defender type, at about $15 a pop.

I should figure out how to manufacture accurate repros for $50 and sell 'em for $70!

SafeAirOne
07-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Weren't the huge amber lights just only on NADA rovers to meet United States DoT regulations? Same with the side repeater lights (initially). If so, I don't know that many UK parts houses are going to have them lying around, though it is funny to see other Rover style lights available on the Lotus websites.

crankin
07-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Yes the 4" ambers are a NADA specific item and I have not seen them on anything but a rover. When I was looking for some replacements for my rebuild I called everywhere for them. I found a company out in Texas that had an original mold and told me that he could reproduce them for me. He was wanting like $70 a piece with a minimal order of ten. I passed.

I have seen the 4” ambers go for $45 - $150 depending on the condition and the deep pockets of the buyer. I kept my ear to the ground and began to find them here and there at swap meets and just from talking to people.

The side markers can be pieced together fairly cheap. You just need to know where to look.

Apis Mellifera
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Asking price is not necessarily selling price, nor is it an indication of rarity. I routinely look at UK vendors and eBay UK for some parts. Many times even with shipping, it's cheaper - I'm looking for a SIII brake MC right now and can get a Genuine part for $35 there vs. over $200 here. Also, I think there may be some confusion. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the rectangular lights on the sides of a SIII. Those are easy to find and relatively cheap (but not getting cheaper). Some of the other lights, like a SIII stop lamp lens, are hard to find.

TedW
07-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I have seen the 4” ambers go for $45 - $150 depending on the condition and the deep pockets of the buyer. I kept my ear to the ground and began to find them here and there at swap meets and just from talking to people.

The side markers can be pieced together fairly cheap. You just need to know where to look.

Clint is correct on both counts; the 4" ambers are quite rare these days, especially new; they've sold new on ebay for $80 each - and that's just the lens. Good used assemblies can go for $50 or so. I've managed to gather quite a few over the years.

The side markers can be pieced together fairly easily, especially at British car shows; Land Rovers used the flat (not angled) rubber base, and it's the bases that rot out. Those can be tricky to find (Spits / GT6's used an angled base), but at last year's British Invasion I saw reproduction flat rubber bases made with nice silicone rubber - look like they would last forever. I think they went for $15 - cheap, IMO.

lrdukdog
07-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Always check here for NLA parts.
http://www.victoriabritish.com/

Jim Wolf

John O from Jersey
07-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I got the rubber bases from this guy:

http://www.englishparts.com/products/BASE--RUBBER--REAR-SIDE-MARKER-LAMP/5946/282-260.html

Worked great.

JO

TedW
07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I got the rubber bases from this guy:

http://www.englishparts.com/products/BASE--RUBBER--REAR-SIDE-MARKER-LAMP/5946/282-260.html

Worked great.

JO
Were they the flat bases or the angled ones??

siiirhd88
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
These repro rubbers should be the flat type If these are copies of the MG Midget ones. The red rear side markers of the Midget were the flat rubbers, but the amber leses will fit.

Bob

John O from Jersey
07-27-2010, 04:49 PM
yup - those were the flat ones.

JO

Terrys
07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
http://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29347

The rubber base is flat.

TJR
07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Since all my S3 side lamps are dented, crackled, faded or chipped.. I'm going w/ the Defender sides light on my S3.. Ease of getting the parts and nice and crisp looking.
I got them through Les... I for get the PN;s '94 Defender I think. I got the wire harness pigtails of a junked LR Discovery.
I just wish they had an aluminum surround for the "vintage" look. I may make some up out of 1/8 thick alum. w/ the help of my buddy's CNC machine, then polish them up. Talbot

Momo
07-27-2010, 11:50 PM
If it were me I would fill the holes for the side markers and use the earlier L692 lenses rather than the 4 inch ambers. In other automotive circles, all those homely little DOT requirements of the era are despised and lots of folks eliminate them for a cleaner look. Can you imagine if 5 mph bumpers had been required on Land Rovers? Yuck!

TedW
07-28-2010, 07:52 AM
If it were me I would fill the holes for the side markers and use the earlier L692 lenses rather than the 4 inch ambers. In other automotive circles, all those homely little DOT requirements of the era are despised and lots of folks eliminate them for a cleaner look. Can you imagine if 5 mph bumpers had been required on Land Rovers? Yuck!

To each his own; I prefer the stock look for my sled, but that's just me. I anyone here is swapping out their 4" assemblies, send them my way! I've already restored a bunch of rusted out bases that should last indefinitely now.

TJR: Where do you live? I'm in Falmouth, and might have some bits you might need - I have a 1970 IIA, which has mostly the same lighting as your III.

txffjim
07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I took the 2 good and 1 cracked one off that came with mine, went to tractor supply and got some 4" replacement amber lenses for $2 ea, and drilled a couple holes to match the originals.
I agree that buying parts from the UK , can be cheaper sometimes.

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zsPiNG28sLA/TD5uvU8wEHI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/q4mTKIS1XYg/s320/runninglights.jpg