PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix wiring

albersj51
07-28-2010, 12:38 AM
So this past weekend my girlfriends father (mechanic) was helping me tune up the truck and show me some tricks. Since we were there we wired in my new pertonix ignitor (Lu-142a for a 25d dizzy). Hooked positive wire to positive side of the coil hooked negative to the negative side of the coil (just like the original set up and according to thE instructions) and left the original negative wire in place. Tried starting it up and fried tHe module. We're assuming bad module or the wrong one. Any other ideas as to why? Got a new one and a new flamethrower coil on the way. 99.9% sure I have a negative earth truck since my battery negative terminal goes to the engine to ground. However, the negative line we left in place looks like it's going to the hot wires from the positive terminal. When we replaced the points she started up fine. So I'm a little confused and don't want to blow up another module.

Thanks for the help!

J

albersj51
07-28-2010, 11:09 PM
No thoughts on this?

kevkon
07-29-2010, 07:27 AM
It's hard to tell maybe you could clarify the bit about the "negative line left in place".
Usually those Pertronix units get "fried" when they are hooked up to a coil with incorrect resistance or an ignition circuit which is left on or hot.

albersj51
07-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I'll take a pic when I get home (at the Fargo, ND airport right now). The wire from the positive side Of the coil goes to the dizzy (using points) and te negative wire goes to a loom of wires behind the dash. I left that wire in place since I assumed it was the ground. Could be the resistence so I got a 3 ohm flamerthrower coil too.

scott
07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
the wire going into your loom is the power for the coil. ya turn the key and and the coil field gets power, points closed means coil is grounded and magnetic field is created, points open and this field collapses and dumps into the high tension wire to the rotor and arcs across a sparkplug

jac04
07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
The wire from the positive side Of the coil goes to the dizzy (using points) and te negative wire goes to a loom of wires behind the dash. I left that wire in place since I assumed it was the ground.

You have it wired wrong. + side of the coil should be connected to the red wire for the Ignitor and the power feed from the ignition switch. - side of the coil goes to the black wire for the Ignitor.

Here are the installation instructions:
http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/pdf/ignitor12vneg.pdf

scott
07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
You have it wired wrong. + side of the coil should be connected to the red wire for the Ignitor and the power feed from the ignition switch. - side of the coil goes to the black wire for the Ignitor.

Here are the installation instructions:
http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/pdf/ignitor12vneg.pdf

jac04's right.

on a coil when using points + & - don't mean crap. probably the same with a petronix. just hook the red petronix wire to the same post on the coil as the wire come out of the loom and connect the black petronix wire to the post on the coil that your points use to be connected to. or ya can move the loom wire to the + post and hook the red to it. then you can hook the black to the - post

albersj51
07-29-2010, 12:50 PM
That makes sense! Didn't know it doesn't matter which side of the coil you use. So, when I install the new flamethrower coil I can just move the power wire to the + side of the coil, install the red wire for the Ignitor to the + side of the coil and then the black wire from the ignitor to the - side of the coil? Thanks guys!

scott
07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
some one correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the red wire doesn't need to be connect to the coil at all, just to something that's hot w/ the ign on

mongoswede
07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
some one correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the red wire doesn't need to be connect to the coil at all, just to something that's hot w/ the ign on

Sounds about right to me. My 109 has an electronic distributor that is probably pertronix (cannot remember). It has not connections going to the coil...one red wire that goes to a power relay.

disco2hse
08-02-2010, 01:34 AM
That's what I have and what I did (as per the instructions). Worked out of the box. No problems.