PDA

View Full Version : Periodic oil smoke?

LC_rover
07-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi folks,

My 72 Series III periodically smokes quite a bit. It doesn't smoke all the time though. It seems that it occurs after I drive it, park it, and then come back to it. Like when I go to work. And then it only seems to smoke if I take a left hand turn, or maybe brake hard.

Its almost like oil might pooling above the engine somehow, and its getting dumped down into the cylinders when I take a turn? :confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

LC_rover

LaneRover
07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Years ago I remember seeing a Rover that smoked a lot at idle. A friend told me that it was because the valve guides were worn and oil would seep down at idle but for some reason it didn't do it at speed. Not sure if a similar thing would happen when sitting too.

My father is convinced that on one of my Rovers that on a tight lefthand turn the oil would go towards the oil fill tube which then would get caught up into the PCV system.

Let us know what you find out!

Brent

rejeep
07-29-2010, 09:19 AM
x2 on the stem seals...

mine smokes for a hot second after I let it sit, but then clears out in a matter of seconds..

I just watch the plugs for now until I either work on the motor or replace it.

LC_rover
07-29-2010, 10:32 AM
How much oil should be collecting under the valve cover? It seems to be a lot. The only other vehicle I had where I had to routinely adjust the valves, was a VW bug, and I don't remember this much oil being in there, but then again, the orientation was hoizontal, not on top of the engine like the Rover.

The left turn definitely "seems" to be a factor, or perhaps strong braking. But I'm happy to hear that it might be more a valve stem issue than a piston ring one.