PDA

View Full Version : synchro or non-synchro?

artistinajar
03-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm still considering a Series III diesel that the owner says may have a non-synchro tranny. He gave me the serial number off the trans housing which is 90223443A. Anybody know how I'd use this number to research the type of transmission this is?

Thanks!

jp-
03-13-2007, 06:28 PM
According to the lrfaq, that transmission is out of a Series III 88", making it a synchro unit.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.Chassis_Numbers.type.html

Of course, the owner should be able to tell you, if the vehicle runs and drives.
Just ask if it grinds in second? Or does he double clucth going into second to avoid grinding?

BackInA88
03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
The Series III has a fork and throw out bearing set up.
I believe the the slave cylinder is mounted horizonally (Series IIa is mounted vertically) on the right side of the trans pushing on the end of the fork which will be sticking out the same side of the bell housing.

But unless someone has replaced the trans with a Series IIa it should be fully synchro. Or I guess it could be a Series III with worn out scnchro rings?

artistinajar
03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
The seller has mentioned that they'd been double-clutching while driving the Rover in question. It could be they didn't realize the Series III is fully synchronized (or perhaps the aforementioned rings are worn out).

I have considered the possibility of the Series IIa non-synch unit having been installed at sometime, but it looks like the serial number points to a Series III gearbox.

I'm going to see if he can check the position of the slave cylinder...

Thanks!

BackInA88
03-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm still considering a Series III diesel that the owner says may have a non-synchro tranny. He gave me the serial number off the trans housing which is 90223443A. Anybody know how I'd use this number to research the type of transmission this is?

Thanks!

The Series II box I am looking at buying is S/N 90176832A and I know this is a Series III box.
Not sure of LR numbering system?
Sounds like bad synchros to me.
Here's a picture of the one I am thinking of buying.
See the fork set up and the slave cylinder sticking forward in the lower right corner.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/Trans.jpg

artistinajar
03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
So, worn out sychro rings would cause grinding when shifting gears? I'm really hoping the sellers simply mistakenly assumed the 88 was equipped with a non-synchro gearbox (it's also not equipped with the dual brake system as the NAS Series IIIs were). They've been driving it double-clutch, but they didn't specify it was because there was a problem shifting otherwise. The vehicle is out of state, so I'm unable to drive it and look it over myself (been getting info via e-mails and phone calls). The seller deals in exotic cars, LR's being just one type, so they may not be completely informed on them.

Thanks again for the assist!:thumb-up: