PDA

View Full Version : anyone try this

BGGB
07-30-2010, 10:28 PM
its a distributorless ignition that uses some common ford sensors and whatnot. can be used on just about any engine. check it out http://www.autosportlabs.com/megajolt-lite-p-41.html

Tim Smith
07-31-2010, 11:03 AM
I've heard mention of a fellow who is running a mega squirt system but not the mega jolt. I'm very close to trying this myself. I think all you really need to add to a series motor is a crank sensor and an O2 sensor plus the obvious ignition or injection parts. I'm sure there is more to it than that but still, it looks easy enough.

gambrinus
07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
A local guy had built a few other engines using that system and was itching to give it a try with his series rig, but he ended up selling it before he could give it a go.

kevkon
08-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I seriously doubt you would see any major difference on a Series 2.25 unless your existing ignition system is really bad. We used the crank trigger ignition as early as 1974 on our Chevy race engines. The advantage of it is eliminating the distortion found on a cam driven distributor at high rpms. As for the EDIS, with a carbed low rpm Rover engine I don't see it adding much improvement. You will, however, lose the ability to make simple field repairs unless you bring along your laptop and spares. Better off just swapping your engine to a duratec.

Tim Smith
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Swapping a duratec into a series truck. Why that's madness. Wonderful mind blowing madness! :D

Actually, I think using your laptop to adjust the set up is kind of the point of a project like this. It's kind of like a tinker toy set up for grown up geeky types with the added benefit of possible better efficiency. I've been using a Weber 34 ICH for years, and although it's a good all rounder, it's not really correct for these engines. If one could set up an injection set up with completely customizable injection rates, you could pretty well assure the correct fueling at any RPM. The megajolt ignition set up would just compliment that.

I have to agree though. I wouldn't expect any massive changes in power or economy but it would still be fun to do.

yorker
08-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Didn't Chicago Rob do something like this? His write-up was on Guns and Rovers IIRC...

kevkon
08-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I think the Duratec is really the best way to go in a Series truck other than the diesel options. I guess the question becomes, though, where do you stop? I mean at what point is it no longer a Series truck but rather a modern vehicle with an old skin. It seems to me that most Series people are pretty hands on and enjoy that aspect of Series ownership. It's something we no longer have with the modern vehicles.

Tim Smith
08-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I had forgotten about this conversation. Here is what I dug up.

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/4672/t/MegaJolt-Distributorless-Electronic-Ignition.html

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/3365/t/Chicago-Rob-need-input.html

I know that somewhere on the megasquirt forums there is a fellow who was asking questions about his install on a RRC. This should be pretty straight forward on any engine once the crank sensor is installed. Of course the O2 sensor would be needed for the megasquirt kit too but that would be easy for any one getting this far into it.

Tim Smith
08-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I think the Duratec is really the best way to go in a Series truck other than the diesel options. I guess the question becomes, though, where do you stop? I mean at what point is it no longer a Series truck but rather a modern vehicle with an old skin. It seems to me that most Series people are pretty hands on and enjoy that aspect of Series ownership. It's something we no longer have with the modern vehicles.
I've seen a few Canadian trucks lately running a Ford v6 and they say it's a very easy swap. To see them on the trail is just like seeing a stock truck on the trail. Being relatively the same power but with a somewhat longer power band gives them some opportunities a stock truck won't have but they loose out when things go wrong. Out in the deep woods, a shout from under the hood for a Ford Essex main bearing will likely go unanswered. So I guess the question really is, what do you want out of your truck?

Doing an engine swap really isn't end of the world difficult with a series truck. I'll tell you what it's like once my Merc diesel is in. I think the question is, will the truck be for show or be for you. Or more to the point, are you willing to go deep into the rabbit hole to make the truck the way you want it or does it serve your needs as stock. Either way is great but since these things are basically erector sets on wheels, you have the choice to go either way.

To each their own. I enjoy both the full stock trucks and the heavily modified trucks. Series trucks are cool no matter how you dice them.