PDA

View Full Version : The longest non-stop drive?

DuckDoc
08-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a cousin who is importing two recently refurbished 110's from the Netherlands (via Southampton). They are coming into Baltimore and we are driving them to Chicago. Both are 1985 110s but they don't have new engines, just well maintained ones with overhauled gearboxes. Lots of work done on them, and in reasonably good shape.

I did this drive in 1999, and I left at about 5am and only stopped for gas, bathroom breaks, and once for a quick snack......but that was in a new car, not an old truck.

What's the longest drive any of you would risk in a vehicle like this, and what sort of breaks should we give the trucks? We're both good at driving long distances without stopping much, so, the breaks would really be for the trucks themselves.

And, on a related note, what is the longest drive anyone has done in an old Landy?

Joseph

mongoswede
08-03-2010, 07:28 AM
The longest drive I know of in an old landy was around the world.

http://www.beastlyadventure.com/

http://www.junglerunner.com/

any distance should be possible...just maintain a speed that the truck likes...which may be slower then you like. Also keep tabs on your fluids and temperatures and perform any maintenance when it is needed.

Tim Smith
08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
You should be fine so long as the trucks are in good shape. Since these will be new to you, just be sure check your fluids at gas stops to make sure there isn't an unknown leak which could pose a problem.

yorker
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Check your fluids and make sure the gauges all work properly and you should be fine- there really is no reason to "rest" the vehicles. It is only ~ what? about 700 miles?

Tim Smith
08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Check your fluids and make sure the gauges all work properly and you should be fine- there really is no reason to "rest" the vehicles. It is only ~ what? about 700 miles?
Good point. I did over 1000 miles in a sight unseen truck which is still to this day my current driver. Other than a little nerves because of the unfamiliar sounds (don't they all sound special?) and running out of fuel somewhere in Georgia due to a bad fuel gauge, the trip was pretty straight forward.

You should bring a set of wrenches so you can actually fill things like the transmission if needed and possibly tinker with other assorted parts like the ignition or carb but otherwise, you should be fine.

KevinNY
08-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Other than a sore ass and your ears bleeding gravy, you should be fine. Drove from Albany,NY to St. John, New brunswick once in a day.

Tim Smith
08-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Other than a sore ass and your ears bleeding gravy, you should be fine. Drove from Albany,NY to St. John, New brunswick once in a day.
If memory servers, that was on massive tires too. Talk about ears bleeding. :eek:

You might want to get a set of ear plugs if you are not used to the sound of one of these trucks on the highway for a few hours. It should help but I'm not one you should ask about that.

Broadstone
08-04-2010, 03:22 AM
I just took my 110csw 2.5 NAD fron southwest france to England last week 1300 miles. This trip was via the French and Italian Alps, Geneva, Paris, Omaha beach to the ferry onto England. It sat two years before I took this trip and it performed flawlessly except for a leaky clutch master cyl and a badly worn U-joint which I just greased every day. Even climbing in the mountains it barely registered on the temp. gauge, very slow pace at times though and letting most people pass me. I just brought the basics with me, tools and all the fluids, extra fuel, a good jack and spare and my wife who speaks good French!! I would not worry too much, AAA would be a good idea though just in case. Good luck and enjoy!!

DuckDoc
08-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Many thanks everyone!.....I feel well enough reassured now. We're doing the drive tomorrow, so, it will be fun to see how it works out.

Broadstone......very strange to read about your trip as.....I will be following a very similar route next week, although starting in Nīmes and then heading to St Jean de Maurienne and then following almost the exact same drive ......also in a 110, but in a V8.

ccec
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I know you're leaving tomorrow...

But maybe you'll get this post.

1. Think about how many miles you put on a vehicle with no problems... e/g. I put 9K on my RRC last year with no break-downs. With that much mileage, I could have driven from where I live to Punte Del Este, South America, without even a hickup.

2. My personal longest drive in a Landie was from San Luis Obispo, CA to half-way down Baja and back (1,500 miles) with no problems in a 1966 Series IIA SWB.

Enjoy the ride!

--ccec

DuckDoc
08-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks everyone for all the reassurances! In the end, it was a pretty uneventful drive, though, we woke up far too early in the morning.....went to bed too early, and am now up too early!

I think the most I have put a truck like this through before has been about 350 miles in a day, and that was part of a trip from Spain to the UK, via France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and the Netherlands. Each part was in small segments of about 250 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less, and the longest individual trip was about 350 miles - overall, we did about 2.500 miles, but it was over a month!....and far more interesting than the trip we just completed!

spacemutt
09-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I did the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge, which was a 3 day endurance, navigation event in my 110. That was 3 days driving at least 14 hours a day, plus a day getting to the start line. It was all on small, twisty, country lanes through Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Not those nice smooth roads you have over there. :p Only once did I need to let my co-pilot take over for a while as my throttle leg was cramping up.

DuckDoc
09-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I did the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge, which was a 3 day endurance, navigation event in my 110. That was 3 days driving at least 14 hours a day, plus a day getting to the start line. It was all on small, twisty, country lanes through Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Not those nice smooth roads you have over there. :p Only once did I need to let my co-pilot take over for a while as my throttle leg was cramping up.

I must ask.....what age of truck do you have? Are you going to do it again in March next year? Wouldn't mind doing it myself if we are over to show the baby off to our family.......maybe I should go on the reserve list......hmmn

spacemutt
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I took my 1983 V8 110. I was going to take the 130, but had a brake problem. The plan was to drive to the start on the Thursday, ready to go Friday morning. But we couldn't get the brakes right. So at the last minute, we bailed out and swapped into the 110, which, at the time, was cleaned and polished, ready to be sold! We chucked in all the kit we needed and set off, late on Thursday night. So we'd worked all day, and driven all night to get to the start of a 3 day endurance event. Great...

Click here for pictures. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48497283@N00/sets/72157604207608489/)

leafsprung
09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
did 1600 miles, with no stops in a 57.

ACP30470
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry for the late post, but I couldn't resist this thread. I bought my 71 lightweight in Houston, Tx. I then flew to Tx and drove it 2,800 miles in 4 days to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. The muffler letting go at about the half way point was my only problem. Only used 1 quart of oil for the whole trip.

Andrew IIA
10-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't know how you guys get your rigs to go so far non-stop.

I can only get mine to go about 200 miles before I need to stop for refueling....... are you guys doing in-flight refueling ? Need pics of this :p

yorker
10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't know how you guys get your rigs to go so far non-stop.

I can only get mine to go about 200 miles before I need to stop for refueling....... are you guys doing in-flight refueling ? Need pics of this :p

Simple- you leave the Rover running when you refuel. You have to do that when you aren't sure the thing will ever start again when you shut it down. :D

Tim Smith
10-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Sorry for the late post, but I couldn't resist this thread. I bought my 71 lightweight in Houston, Tx. I then flew to Tx and drove it 2,800 miles in 4 days to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. The muffler letting go at about the half way point was my only problem. Only used 1 quart of oil for the whole trip.You sir have knocked me clear off my high chair. I thought I was king of the "first drives" but a measly 1000 miles seems so average now. :D

73series88
11-12-2010, 11:15 AM
how many times have you been not so sure it would start again.
this is true
aaron

LR Max
11-26-2010, 05:18 PM
For a while there, my 109 was my ONLY car. As in, no matter what, the 109 was what I had to take to get me there.

College was about 150 miles away from home. So ~300 mile round trip in a weekend. Just needed gas and oil. Just, go.

Last month I did a 250 mile round trip wheeling trip. Had my 34's bolted on. It took about 3 days for the WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA of the swampers to get out of my ear.

These trucks are A LOT more durable than we give them credit for. Sure, not fast, not efficient, not comfortable, not the most capable. But darn, they just go!

siii8873
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Did a 600 mile round trip this weekend. The first 300 I was alone and took it a little easier than return trip with wife following. Did learn something about my Fairy Over Drive, fluid consumpsion (weeping through vent) is expidential to speed. i used about a cup on way down taking it a little easy. On the return trip I noticed an increased whine so stopped and checked it and it was down over a pint in about 200 miles.
Listening / knowing / responding to sounds of your truck is good.

BellaCoola
11-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Last year in my Series III 109 (2.25 petrol) we did an expedition up to the North West Territories. Total trip there and back to Vancouver was 5,367K.

Day 1 = 821k
Day 2 = 601k
Day 3 = 825k
Day 4 = 390k
Day 5 = 206
Day 7 = 94k
Day 8 = 46k
Day 9 = 13k
Day 10 = 15k
Day 11 = 15k (thirteen hours)
Day 12 = 5k
Day 13 = 31k
Day 14 = 35k
Day 15 = 192k
Day 16 = 342k
Day 17 = 850k
Day 18 = 886K < This would be the longest distance traveled in one day, but definitely not the longest time spent in the truck during the trip...that would have been Day 11 where we were on the trail for over 13 hours.

Do I win?:D

Tim Smith
11-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Very impressive. This wasn't the Canol road expedition, was it?

BellaCoola
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Very impressive. This wasn't the Canol road expedition, was it?

Yes it was! Even thought my stock Series III was dead reliable, I have since sold that Rover and purchased a 1991 Defender with a 300TDi. The suspension differences between the two was the deciding factor. After observing the other 3 "coilers" on the trip, and taking a beating in the 109, that along with the fuel consumption made the switch a no-brainer. My new truck's web site is below.

Tim Smith
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh boy. I read a lot of the forum updates on that and it sure looks like an epic trip. Hope you don't mind my posting it but the pictures of the flipped Sankey (near the end) is just priceless. There is even a write up in the Overland Journal about your trip. Great stuff!

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=379781.0