PDA

View Full Version : lights/mirrors

siii8873
08-02-2010, 05:15 AM
I'm disassembling my 69 IIa wings for some rehab work. I cant seem to get the wing mirrors off. It was easy on my SIII just remove the nut off they came. Neither sides nut will budge. The threads don't look bad and I have soaked them w/ PB.
Also the small amber lights don't want to come off either. The nuts on the inside turn but do not back off.
Any tricks to this or are they just siezed. Don't want to damage the front panel/wing.
Thanks
Bob

siii8873
08-02-2010, 05:43 AM
here's a grainy picture of the lights I think.

siiirhd88
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM
The small amber lamp looks like a glass lens 'beehive' lamp. The metal bulb holder is typically mounted to the wing with small screws and nuts, so if the nut is turning you will need to get a screwdriver on the screw. The glass is retained in the rubber only by a small lip and the stainless ring, which is in its own lip in the rubber. Use a small screwdriver to start the stainless ring from the lip, and then do the same with the lens, being carefull for the glass edge.

Bob

scott
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM
remove crome ring from light, remove glass from light, place slot head screwdriver into the head of then screws the turn the nuts.

are your mirrors the kind that are mounted on springy arms that move out of the way when hit or just the plain steel rods?

siii8873
08-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the light info. I'm pretty sure the mirrors are the swing away type. There is a slot on the bottom of the shaft at the nut if that helps.

scott
08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
mine are aluminum, short and curved, there's an internal spring that allows the mirror to be pushed around. if you've the same you rotate the arm about 90` and it will rise exposing a place under it for a really thin open end wrench. sorry i for got the size. this has to be held while you remove the nut that's under the wing.

if ya got the steel rod type, hold the rod via the slot while removing the nut from under the wing

siii8873
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks, lights came off easy after I understood how the chrome ring/ lense was attached.
Mirrors are still being a pain in the @$$. Was able to get the first one off but not intact. The slot in the bottom screwed into the mirror arm and came off fine. The threaded piece, white metal maybe, that the nut attaches to is broken and really siezed to the nut. Got it off but broke it in the process. I think when it was whole it must have had a hex on it.
Other side does not look any better.
Thanks