PDA

View Full Version : gas gauge issues

Escargo
08-02-2010, 06:57 AM
I have a '64 lla 88 and have been silently watching the forum for awhile. My fuel gauge quit working twice in the last 18 months. The needle would erratically bounce for several days, then it would just stay on "E". Both times I removed the sender to check that the arm/float was OK. Fuel gauge magically worked after reassembly. It's an easy fix so I'm not complaining, but does anyone know what is happening? Also, the "coil" in the little chamber on top of the sender is covered with little brown hairs. What is with that?

Andrew IIA
08-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Also, the "coil" in the little chamber on top of the sender is covered with little brown hairs. What is with that?

...... Morgellons :eek:

siii8873
08-02-2010, 07:47 AM
wow does that sound familiar. My SIII gauge does something very similar.
It seems to work best when the tank is above 1/2 full. When the tank gets lower on fuel it will stop working after the truck is shut off and restarted. After running it for a while it will start to bounce all over and then start working again. I'm thinking there is a bad spot on the rheostat in the sending unit on the lower end of the range. I think some of the sending units can be taken apart and cleaned. Mine is sealed so I just keep track of when I need fuel.

stonefox
08-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Also, the "coil" in the little chamber on top of the sender is covered with little brown hairs. What is with that?
Sounds like a brunette has been joy riding in your Landy!

LaneRover
08-02-2010, 11:30 AM
If it starts working erratically - then doesn't work and when you take the cover off, then the sender it sounds like a ground issue to me. When you take the cover of the tank off, is the ground on the seatbox? Could it be fiddling with that piece or another ground that makes the difference?

Brent

Escargo
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
That is everyone's first thought-ground. Excuse my ignorance but does that circuit(?) ground on the gas tank? As you know,there is only one wire to the sender. I assumed the ground was up somewhere near the gauge. Could retightening the sender screws give it ground again? Obviously I have no idea how it works. Someone enlighten me.

scott
08-02-2010, 04:28 PM
power goes to the gauge via the volt stabilizer (10v) the ground comes from the sender. as the float rises or falls it weakens or strengthens the ground.

i just write my mileage w/ a sharpie on the wind screen and keep track of far i have left before running dry

disco2hse
08-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Could be:

Earth from fuel tank is poor. Remove one of the bolts and replace with a good coat of copper grease.
Poor connection to rheostat (it is only crimped usually).
The spade terminal is dirty and needs to be cleaned.
Sender needs to be replaced. They are cheap and a new one is easier than messing about with trying to make a faulty one work.
Poor connection with the gauge in the dash. Remove, clean, and replace.
Sender wire is corroded (too much resistance in the wire) and needs to be replaced.

If you do replace the sender you can use a marine sender. They are pretty much the same and cheaper than LR branded stuff. Just ask about about fuel senders at your local chandler. You might need to adjust to get accurate readings and drill holes to match hose on the fuel tank.

Escargo
08-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks Guys, much appreciated.
Hans

LaneRover
08-02-2010, 09:00 PM
You could always run a wire from one of the screws on the sender to the chassis if you want.