PDA

View Full Version : ft seats

woodman1
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm looking for two ft seats for a 1963 series IIA.

Andrew IIA
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm looking for two ft seats for a 1963 series IIA.
Need more info: what sort of seats ? original type/look, later type, defender type, aftermarket jeep type, used boat cushion, junk yard type from a Saab :confused:

stonefox
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Our host has them.I bought a set of the exmoor black vinyl. I hope some day to replace with the "Elephant hide" gray leather cloth.If you got the money go for the elephant hide its cooler to sit on and more original looking.

Tsmith
08-02-2010, 01:53 PM
You are welcome to two delux seats from my SII. I replaced them with the flat type. The vinyl is torn and they would need to be recovered, they're beyond repair. I was about to discard them. I live in New York.

Tom Smith

woodman1
08-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm after the type of seat that it came with.

Tsmith
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't know if the "deluxe" seats I have were original to my car, but I think they're correct for yours. They are designated as PLE286 and PLE575 in our host's catalogue. The vinyl is torn, the foam may be salvageable and all the metalwork is in very good shape. I can't imagine the recovering cost is much less than our host's price, but it's up to you.

Andrew IIA
08-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Your '63 would have had gray 'elephant hide' seats; not black or deluxe. The closest match would be these Exmoor Trim replicas: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16142-front-seat-set-series-elephant-hide-vinyl.aspx (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/../store/p-16142-front-seat-set-series-elephant-hide-vinyl.aspx)

:thumb-up:

Tsmith
08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Hello Andrew,

"...Your '63 would have had gray 'elephant hide' seats; not black or deluxe..."

Does that mean the black vinyl deluxe seat cushions in my 1960 SII Station Wagon were not original? I replaced them with new non-deluxe cushions from our hosts. The new bottom cushion is thicker than the tired deluxe ones and it makes it even harder to see traffic lights for drivers over 5' 6". They are much more comfortable though.

I am no slave to originality, but just curious.

Tom Smith

Andrew IIA
08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Does that mean the black vinyl deluxe seat cushions in my 1960 SII Station Wagon were not original? I replaced them with new non-deluxe cushions from our hosts. The new bottom cushion is thicker than the tired deluxe ones and it makes it even harder to see traffic lights for drivers over 5' 6". They are much more comfortable though.

Hi Tom,

Yes, the gray elephant was standard fitment until..er.. '65 (?....someone here will know the year for sure). The elephant hide seats have been considered highly desirable and impossible to obtain (until decent reproductions came along recently) for those wanting original-appearance seats (but don't want lots of comfort :p).

My '63 88" has its actual original elephant hide seats, but the dirver's seat bottom and seat back are cracked/brittle and very tired (the middle and passenger seats are ok because no one ever sits there). I like the original look so I'm planning on replacing the driver's seat bottom and back with the Exmoor replica elephant hide. I already can't ever see the traffic lights (I'm 6'1"), and of course if I was interested in comfort I wouldn't be driving a Series truck ;)

I love my uncomfortable, radioless, too hot/cold, Series IIA :thumb-up:

woodman1
08-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Tom
How much do you want for them?