Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco2hse
    4th Gear
    • Jul 2010

Just to toss in a different view. I would suggest there is no relationship between what you spent on your vehicle, its retail value, and its insurable value.

However much you have chosen to spend on improving your vehicle is a reflection of the passion you hold for it, and the depth of your pockets allow you to express your passion in a manner you deem to be fitting. However, in the retail market, the buyer will pay you the current worth of the vehicle, not what you spent on it. Except in rare occasions, the money spent on the full restoration/improvement of a motor vehicle will not be returned at sale time.

So, the general rule is, if it is really important to have a figure you consider to be accurate, get a qualified valuer to assess its worth. Realise that is a snapshot of the vehicle's worth and the figure will change over time. Otherwise, do as the rest of us and scan through the local for sale columns and build a general picture of what you think it is worth comparing those factors that are important, your vehicle's strengths and weaknesses against those you find in others.

So far as insurance is concerned. The advice to get an agreed value policy is good advice. They tend to be more expensive, but in the event that you need to make the claim, you will be happier with type of policy than if you have an incident and have to start haggling with the insurer over how much your vehicle is worth. Chances are, they probably won't even have it on their database to make the call and will try to cut their loss as much as they can.

Usually, in that type of agreed policy, you insure for more than the retail value. Include in it your recovery gear, tools, etc.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

• jumpmaster54
      1st Gear
      • Sep 2011

Here is what I know

I searched and searched to find an original NADA 109 that was in great shape from the start. I waited until I found one with the original frame (no rust) and the original drive train.

I settled on a 1967 6 cylinder 109 Station Wagon 5 door and if the Register is correct, most 1967 NADA were modified with new and non-rover motors. Mine is also a LOW Serial #21. All I did is use original or Rovers North parts to replace seats, seatbelts etc. IN my opinion it seems rare as only 800 plus a few were made.

I do understand most vehicles are only worth what people will pay and I do only hope to enjoy my rover and at best just recoup my total spent. Not trying to make money off my rover.

Thanks to most for being professional and respectful. I choose to always be the same.

Stan
      Last edited by jumpmaster54; 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM. Reason: because I can not type or spell. geesh

Comment

Working...