X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leafsprung
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

width

Make it as wide as you can reasonably. My wheeler is 10 inches wider in track than a stock 109. It handles off camber stuff so much better than a stock truck. Feels glued to the trail. Coiler axles are 4 inches wider than series 2/2a/3 FJ60 axles are about the same. On the setup pictured we used Fj60 axles and wheels with greater offset. It has a 7 inch wider track than stock.

Comment

• JimCT
      5th Gear
      • Nov 2006

Width

Around here one of the nice things about a rover is how narrow it is. Trails around here are usually limited my the space between trees...an extra 10" of track would not help.
      1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
      1963 Unimog Radio box
      1995 LWB RR

Comment

• slorocco
        2nd Gear
        • Feb 2007

I know what you mean about the narrow trails. I'm in the mid atlantic area and have the same issues. Still, I'd like the stability of a bit wider track, especially when I add the weight of a roll bar/cage. I'm trying to decide between the rover front and Sals rear set up I have now or going to a full width Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear. I have both on hand to I could easily go either way.

Comment

• leafsprung
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

Track

Theres plenty of tight narrow trails in Oregon as well. Especially in tillamook NF. One thing about a rover is that the stock track is so far inside the lines of the body that you can extend it significantly before it starts to affect your overall width. When the tires are your widest point you become less worried about the body. You go through tight spots knowing the tires will contact any trail obstacles before the sheet metal. Even at 10 inches wider than stock, its easier to wheel in tight spots than a discovery. When you get to off camber spots it just walks through them instead of tipping:

Comment

• slorocco
            2nd Gear
            • Feb 2007

Leafsprung, I couldn't have said it better. Been in many situations like your picture.

Comment

Working...