Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lalo88DK
    1st Gear
    • Nov 2009

I used to have original seats in mine, and wouldn't even consider the idea of unoriginal seats. For many owners there is no problem in keeping the original seats if they rarely use it and own another everyday car. My Land Rover is not a museum piece, that only comes out twice a year when the sun is shining. I drive my Series Land Rover everyday, around 15.000 miles a year, so if the alternative was to sell the Land Rover, because I couldn't drive it because of the excruciating pain in my back, then the original seats must go, remember a Land Rover were meant to be driven, not kept as a museum piece.

Comment

• yorker
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

Previously Gregor has also brought up the fact that high back seats can be much safer in an accident(well assuming you fasten them in right )- In the past I can think of a couple US Series owners who have been jkilled when rear ended- if high back seats would have helped I don't know but it is another factor to consider.
      1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• bmohan55
        4th Gear
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by amcordo
        Final decision: Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats. The inertia belt is built into the seat - just have to make a simple mount to fix it to the seatbox and will probably also mount it to frame under the seat box.
        Amazing...I have a '98 on it's last legs...when she finally goes I'll have to pull those seats. Although I really like the look of the orginal and accept the "comfort level" I'm going to really think hard about increasing my safety with those seats.

Please let me know how these work out for you.
        04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
        '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• rbonnett
          1st Gear
          • May 2009

Originally posted by amcordo
          Final decision: Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats. The inertia belt is built into the seat - just have to make a simple mount to fix it to the seatbox and will probably also mount it to frame under the seat box.
          I like the built in belts - would make inertial belts in mine simpler. Since the belts are in the seats I would think the mountiing for the seats should be as beefy as for separate belts - something stonger that just fastened to the seat box
          '72 88" - daily driver
          '64 109 SW - project in waiting

Comment

• cwagner
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

New Defender"esque" seats in my 109

I have placed 4 racing style seats, bucket style in black vinyl with 4 point harness holes, in my 109 5 door...Due to the simplicity of the seat box, they were easily installed using the rails that came with the seats...I sourced them from Ebay...If anyone wants pics or links to the supplier let me know. They give the Landy a bit of a modern Defender SVX look, but all in all the black merges well with the interior.

~Clay

Comment

• glbft1
              1st Gear
              • Dec 2006

would like the link am currently upgrading my seats thank and pics too

Comment

• rovers2a
                Low Range
                • Sep 2008

rangie seats in a 109, not mine http://picasaweb.google.ca/redrover1...86524536023954 . keep it rover!

Comment

• cwagner
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

Here are the pics and links requested

I totally understand why people would stick with factory seats, they compliment the interior well in that spartan, utilitarian kind of way, but if you ever go off road (like I do regularly) its nice to have something that keeps the butt from sliding into the passenger seat all the time (expecially when radically off camber or vibrating over cobble stones at speed) So I opted for these (pics attached) They arent too radical, and they are made of vinyl which I can wipe the mud off of and sea water from when I go surfing or kayaking.

Not too mention they are cheap and easily found!

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/member01...=1&_from=&_ipg=

Comment

• glbft1
                    1st Gear
                    • Dec 2006

Thank You great link will be ordering some

Comment

• amcordo
                      5th Gear
                      • Jun 2009

Bump.

I was originally intending to go with Chrysler Sebring convertible seats in the rover. Turns out even the manual version of these require wiring. You have to provide power to the seatbelt retractors or else they lock; this was a little rediculous to me.

So instead I went to one of the MANY local scrap yards and pulled a pair of manual cloth seats from a standard cab 2000 GMC Sierra ($20/ea). Here is why the seats are ideal:
                      1. Built in belts (lap & inertia)
                      2. The right size (they are not too tall or too short for use with the seatbox).
                      3. The mounting system is four bolts per seat (using the adjustable track) and the bolts go up and down. Many seats use bolts that go both up and down and side to side meaning you have to fabricate a more complicated mount)
                      4. For additional strength: Per seat I added two steel rectangualar tubes (one under each track on the underside of the seat box). In addition, for more strength I reinforced the seatbox where it mounts to the vehicle by adding steel strips. No welding was required for this job.

Comment

Working...