Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LaneRover
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

I put one of the MOD rebuilds in my 109 P-up and it was great. The only thing I changed was that I kept the rochester that was on the truck when I bought it.

Which means somewhere I have a rebuilt solex sitting around . . .

The MOD doesn't mind spending $$$ on a re-build or new parts for such a re-build. As mentioned earlier though, these brilliant new parts could have been put together by some inbred slack jawed yokel who was still pissed off over his decision to take the army over prison.

Maybe I got lucky but I have been very pleased.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• jac04
      Overdrive
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tim Smith
      ...but really, these are MOD rebuilds.
      No, they are marketed & sold as RN rebuilds, with the RN price tag. RN only uses the MOD rebuild as a 'core' for their rebuild. If they were sold as a MOD rebuild, then I would agree with you.

Comment

• JackIIA
        5th Gear
        • Dec 2008

I gotta agree with Jac04 on that one. I love RN and Les and Arthur have ALWAYS done right by me...but I'd be unhappy to receive the engine Jeff got after the outlay of cash, MOD or otherwise. To RN's credit, they clearly took care of the problem when it was presented. And I've found they've done the same for me on other issues over the years.
        1970 88 IIA

Comment

• Tim Smith
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

I suppose I read it to be MOD rebuilds and not rebuilt by RN. I can't seem to find these on the site for sale? Did RN stop selling them?

Comment

• jac04
            Overdrive
            • Feb 2007

They are still listed, but don't know availability:

Comment

• Broadstone
              2nd Gear
              • Jan 2009

This post makes me think people have given in and cast aside a rebuildable engine for something they just drop in. Where do these poor things end up?
              1973 NADA 88

Comment

• Tim Smith
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

They are still listed, but don't know availability:
                http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...lternator.aspx
                Maybe it's me but I'm not seeing a deception with that description. As stated on their page, I bet they really are "ready to run." Maybe just not ready to run to the Concours d'Excellence.

Don't read my take on this as an attack on your position or second guessing your experience. Obviously you didn't get what you expected. That much is clear. But at least they dealt with it correctly and refunded it for you. Correct?

I don't think it's fair to shun our hosts for offering a motor that is probably going to do just fine for most owners out there. If nothing else, at least it's an option to compare against when someone is looking for a replacement motor.

Comment

• LaneRover
                  Overdrive
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Broadstone
                  This post makes me think people have given in and cast aside a rebuildable engine for something they just drop in. Where do these poor things end up?
                  Right now mine is in the box that the MOD engine came in , sitting in my garage. I pulled the head off of it to fix the head on my 109 SW.

The plan is to re-build it so I have a spare.
                  1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                  1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                  1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                  1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• Tim Smith
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Broadstone
                    Although I've probably shot my credibility for defending that ugly engine pictured above, I would gladly rebuild a 2.25 rather than buy a new one. So if anyone has any of these ship anchors sitting around gathering dust, just let me know.

Comment

• kevin-ct
                      3rd Gear
                      • Oct 2006

People who can, rebuild, people who can't, buy a rebuilt
                      Kevin

04 XJ8
                      92 RRC
                      02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
                      72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
                      70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
                      Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
                      90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
                      72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

Comment

• Terrys
                        Overdrive
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by jac04
                        The complete engines listed on the RN site are rebuilds of already-rebuilt military engines that they have done by a local shop. I bought one and RN came and got it back due to multiple quality concerns based on visual inspection only. Plus, the ancillary equipment (water pump, manifolds, fuel pump, carb, alternator) is all used stuff that is in 'servicable' condition at best. Check out the pictures below of the engine that I originally received from RN. When I asked RN to quote me a top quality rebuilt complete engine, the price I was quoted was $7500 . I found it to be more cost effective for me to buy the Turner long block and dress it out myself with new Genuine parts and parts that I rebuilt from my original engine.

For reference, this was the picture shown on the RN web site for the RNE568 Engine that I purchased:
                        (Big difference, huh?)
                        Those pictures tell a whole story. Repainted is not rebuilt. A proper REBUILD will start by removing all the core plugs and freeze plugs, then boiling the block. There wouldn't be any evidence of rust, or old flaking paint. It doesn't look like the head was even off that engine Jeff. If the seller of that engine told me he had them bebuilt, I wouldn't buy it and would be suspect of wear internally. How do you renew the timing chain, and tensioner without pulling the front cover? How do you renew the mains and rod bearings with pulling the pan? How do you lap the valves and ridge the bore without pulling the head?

Comment

• Broadstone
                          2nd Gear
                          • Jan 2009

Well we are much better at saving what we have than our fellow owners in the U.K. as they discard many useful engines there. Even the 2.5 NAD, turbo and petrol engines do not mean much to them when the TDI's go in.
                          1973 NADA 88

Comment

• Tim Smith
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

From the description page.
                            A complete solution to a tired engine. Ready to run. These engines are complete with ancillaries. Designed for unleaded with performance 8:1 cylinder head. *Core charge for cylinder head only $ 100.00.

USE RTC2352G OR RTC2352A

Part#: RNE568
                            It doesn't say it was rebuilt. In fact, it doesn't say anything about their source at all. Maybe this was a change in sales policy?

I have to take a step back because it seems Jeff was told these engines were rebuilt state side. If that's the case then I too would be upset as a buyer to receive that.

Comment

• kevin-ct
                              3rd Gear
                              • Oct 2006

We should rename this thread! To, the engine that Jeff was unhappy with.
                              Kevin

04 XJ8
                              92 RRC
                              02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
                              72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
                              70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
                              Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
                              90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
                              72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

Comment

• jac04
                                Overdrive
                                • Feb 2007

Sorry, didn't mean for it to turn into that. I just wanted to make sure that what happened to me doesn't happen to someone else.
                                Last edited by jac04; 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...