Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: finally gave in

Thanks for your explanation as to the registration. For the longest time I thought all rovers came with the english registration. As to how it came to be on this rover I am not certain. But, my father was particularly fond of diesel engines and I know that in the case of a diesel mercedes he also bought in 63, that he connected with an exporter in Germany who bought the car, and shipped it to the states. We picked that car up in savannah and I think it came in as a used car with 50 miles on it. Your comment on the English registration suggests he did something similar with the rover.

He was convinced it was one of the first diesel rovers in the states, and told me that the East coast office of Rover North America said it was the first they knew of, but that their might be some west of Colorado...... (contact with Rover might contradict the notion that he brought it in as a used vehicle- but after so many years the stories become....... stories).

As for the badge on the grill, I am very confident it noted that the rover was a diesel. Unfortunately, it is long gone. It disappeared after some repair, even before I was old enough to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kwd509 View Post
    As for the badge on the grill, I am very confident it noted that the rover was a diesel. Unfortunately, it is long gone. It disappeared after some repair, even before I was old enough to drive.

Ahh--That was my other guess, but I dismissed it as less-likely. I've got the very same Rover Diesel badge on my grille (thanks to Jim-ME). The photo in the link above isn't my rover, but it shows the badge you're talking about.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

But why would it be registered in the UK if it was a LHD?

Can't wait to see more pictures!
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Quote Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
    But why would it be registered in the UK if it was a LHD?
    So it could be driven from the supplier to the docks?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Yes, I'm pretty certain it was just to get it to the boat......
    What I don't know is whether this was done because of $ savings, or whether the network of US dealers was so limited that it was easier to purchase in England.....