Thread: No more Gas Engines....

Default No more Gas Engines....

Will we in the US be so lucky ?....

Quote from UK magazine "Land Rover has announced that sales of normally-aspirated petrol engines will cease in 2008, due to a massive increase in demand for diesel models."

So only diesel models available in the Uk..... any chance they will do the same in the US ?... I doubt Land Rover will be that smart....and then US politicians have made diesel emissions laws so difficult that they would most likely be only 49 State legal.

That new Defender engine @ 2.4l is again on the tiny side, I wonder why they will never ever give it a little bit more kick it's not like their isn't enough space. 6 speed gearbox, means the overdrive makers are out of business.

cheers
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

Quote Originally Posted by fruitpunch
    That new Defender engine @ 2.4l is again on the tiny side, I wonder why they will never ever give it a little bit more kick it's not like their isn't enough space.
    I've noticed for sometime that 2.5L seems to be a firm ceiling for engine size in the UK. I've always suspected that there is some sort of tax penalty on larger engines or stiffer regulatory requirements on vehicles with larger engines. Since it doesn't affect me I haven't bothered to research it.

Hi, I am new to this method of communication.. I would like to post an interest in the problems and procedures that I may encounter when I attempt to install a Mercedes 300TD into my 65 109.. I don't know where to even post this question, please forgive my ignorance. I do have mech. skills but am weak on the computer. Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    Hi, I am new to this method of communication.. I would like to post an interest in the problems and procedures that I may encounter when I attempt to install a Mercedes 300TD into my 65 109.. I don't know where to even post this question, please forgive my ignorance. I do have mech. skills but am weak on the computer. Donnie

Donnie,

I'd suggest going over to Art Bitterman's Guns and Rovers BBS (http://p200.ezboard.com/fgunsandroversfrm1), and look for MercedesRover, as Jim has done Mercedes engines in Rovers (hence the board name, lol...). Jim also has a website, at ( http://www.seriestrek.com )

Good luck...
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by fruitpunch
    Will we in the US be so lucky ?....
    That new Defender engine @ 2.4l is again on the tiny side,
    this is the other reason why manufacturers don't bother with diseasels in the US........we , for some odd reason, need to have bigger motors than the rest of the world. They don't feel the need to re-engineer for that.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

Default Diesel in Europe

All, this is my first post here.

Here in Italy, vehicles are taxed by the kilowat output of the engines, so you don't see many vehicles over the 1.0-1.4 liter range. I have a 1992 Def 90 with the 2.5 Tdi and Italians think this is a huge. With gas prices up around $5.00 a gallon for unleaded, it pays to have 1.0 liter motor!

Diesels out sale gas power vehicles here 6:1 (my guess) and I would have to attribute this to the high cost of unleaded fuel and the quality diesel vehicles that are offered here (LR, Alfa Romeo, Jeep, Mitsubish and Opel).

Have a good day.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn
    I've noticed for sometime that 2.5L seems to be a firm ceiling for engine size in the UK. I've always suspected that there is some sort of tax penalty on larger engines or stiffer regulatory requirements on vehicles with larger engines. Since it doesn't affect me I haven't bothered to research it.
    What's the dissplacement of the TDV8? All the mags think that's the neatest thing since sliced bread.

I believe the RR 8 cylinder diesel has 3.6 l of displacement.
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi