Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 Ser 1 107 Station Wagon SOLD!

Default 1957 Ser 1 107 Station Wagon SOLD!

1957 Series One 107 Station Wagon - This was Land Rover's first long wheel base station wagon and oddly enough, the production of this model spanned both Series Ones and Series Twos being made into 1958. Only 7000 of these Five Door models were thought to have been made.

This version started life in Montana after making the voyage across the pond and through the distributor in Portland, OR. Original documentation and purchase order along with the original manuals come with the truck.

I restored this back to nearly original condition. Working with Dunsfold, Exmoor Trim, Keith Wadsworth and others to ensure that the parts were correct for the model and year. Restoration included a frame off process with all painted surfaces being recoated. The chassis was primed and painted with black Por 15 with multiple coats. Some panels were replaced including wing sides and side lamp pressings. Door top panels were re-riveted to ensure that the proper look was accomplished with riveting over paint.

The engine was re-built, the transmission was rebuilt, new wiring harness, new interior, new exhaust and rebuilt brake system include the major systems plus lots and lots of smaller items taken care of using original and NOS parts.

Upgrades to the truck include parabolic springs from Rocky Mountain, dual circuit brakes with brake booster, over drive and Class III/IV hitch for recovery.

After restoration, the truck was promptly driven and used for exploration. The inaugural trip included a circumnavigation of the Baja penninsula from Washington state. This is not a trailer queen. It is a proper Land Rover that gets driven and used, but it is well maintained and is solid and running well.

More info on request. Offering the truck at $12,500

Thanks for looking. A link to photos coming up soon.

Matthew Clark
    Seattle, WA
    2 oh 6 = 200 = three six two one
    mjc at loadedpictures dot com

Back side of the 107 with roof rack.

El Vizcaino desert Baja

Stable Mates - Even though the 110 is from the late 1990s and a TDi, the similarities in build to the two are surprisingly similar.
    Last edited by str8films; 08-25-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: sold

email sent

Default a bit more info

Here is some more information on the 107 based on some emails from some of you.

Frame: When I exposed the frame with the entire body off, there wasn't a stitch of rust save for a bit of surface rust, but it was nothing a little bit of a wire brush couldn't handle. In fact, I mechanically brushed (cup & flat brush with on a 4" grinder) the entire frame and then cleaned it for optimal paint adhesion. I then coated the chassis in Por-15 primer and top coat in the proper semi gloss black. The only slight blemish in the frame is the rear cross member - a minor tear. This was from way back who knows how long ago. I figured it was a beauty mark not worth fixing. It is only cosmetic, not structural.

Wiring: The entire wiring harness was replaced including the long section to the rear crossmember, which runs inside the frame. Everything was replaced except for a few cool and hard to find ground straps to the wiper motors and a wire that runs to the dome light.

Exhaust: from the exhaust manifold back, it was replaced along with a new L.R. muffler. New hangers hold it in place.

Mechanically: It is in very good condition. On rebuild, we put one size bigger pistons (I can't recall the size)& rings, new bearings, seals and refaced lifters, new timing chain and roller. I have the balance sheet on it all. I'm going to replace the ignition parts like condenser, points, cap and rotor with new parts. It seems to be starting a touch hard. Those parts haven't been renewed in awhile. The brake booster that we installed is robbing a bit too much vacuum from the engine and I'm tinkering with a way to reduce that draw.

Bulkhead: There were maybe 3 or four pin holes in the foot well on the driver's side when I took the bulkhead off. I had it sand blasted and then painted. It is in very solid condition.

Seals: Hard to get for a series one, but around... I replaced every piece of rubber except for the windscreen to bulkhead rubber. The original was still very usable. I think there is now a repro for that part.

Fuel: New fuel pump just went it. I have a new pump to carb fuel line on order - the NOS version with a wire jacket around a rubber hose. Very much looks the part and is proper.

Tires: All very good including nicely painted rims, one matching spare painted rim with matching tire and a second spare that has the same tire but black rim. All are correct with correct date stamp.

Headliner: The original headliner is in the truck with only one or two minor blemishes in it. It is still in nice condition for the age. I'll shoot it for sure.

Interior: The seats were all newly made or recovered by Exmoor trim and are in great condition.

Speedo & Gauges: They all work properly and are original. I hope to get the speedo sent out for repair prior to sale. It has frozen up, even a new speedo cable didn't resolve the issue.

Transmission: Rebuilt with new clutch and pilot bearing. New Intermediate shaft and first gear (the original was chipped). New bearings through out. Currently, the third gear synchro is starting to show signs of wear by not staying in gear on decel. With power applied, it holds just fine. Both High & Low Range work properly.

Front Axle: Locking hubs are in good order. Swivel Pin housings have very slight pitting - they are original and now have leather boots to protect them. New seals on both sides and new bearings. Modified to later Series II/IIl Style bushings instead of splined.

Rear Axle: Modified to Series II/III style full floating axle instead of the shorter and harder to find Series One full floating axle. Modification uses a spacer behind the brake backing plate so you can't tell it has been altered.

Drive Lines: Both rebuilt and balanced with new UJ's.

Suspension: Woodhead shocks and HD Rocky Mountain Parabolic's with 109 shackles. The truck stands 1.5 to 2" taller than normal. With lots of weight, it settles down nicely. I have toyed with removing one leaf spring in the back for normal, light load, everyday use.

Non - Stock Mod: VW rearview mirror. Just recalled that one!

Additional Narrative about the truck: The restoration was completed about 9 years ago. As I mentioned in my post, I have driven it and have explored in it. The driving and love are shown in the body. It has some minor scrapes here and there, but it is in truly nice condition and well maintained.

I'm available to answer questions. Feel free to ping me. Pictures on their way.

Matthew

Default Link to Photos

Here are some photos taken 08.12.2010 of the 107.

http://homepage.mac.com/str8films1/1957_107SW/

thx!

Matthew

Argh! Sweet Series. If I hadn't just bought a Defender! Bump for a spectacular truck.
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"

I looked over Matt's truck at the Portland ABFM about five years ago and it has to be one of the nicest of its type anywhere outside the UK. It is definitely a proper restoration. Sorry to see you sell it Matt, but I hope it gets a good home.
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

If i ever get my Chevelle sold this is exactly the Rover i am looking for. a 107 Series I is in my future. maybe not this one (it will sell before mine i bet) but one.

Nice Rover and if i manage to sell my Chevelle soon i will be calling you.

Default sold

Thanks everyone for your interest and kind words. The 107 is going to a new home in Ohio with one happy new owner. I'll miss it greatly, but it is time to move on. I can't begin to describe the kinds of things we went through together, me and this Land Rover. Time to turn the page.

Cheers!

-m

Matt,

Beautiful Series 107. Congrats on the sale, I'm sure you are going to miss her. I can appreciate your particular feelings for the vehicle since I found my own 107 a couple of years ago.

I thought you'd enjoy a couple of pictures of "Margarita". (I'm living in Argentina presently.)

Maybe one day another Series will make its way back into your life.

Best regards,

1957 LR Serie 1 SW (107)
    į=====¤¤¬
    l_l__ll__[_|_],
    l¯\__ll¯¯l__ſ°Ħ°
    ()_)-Ū-Ū-()_)¤¤)_)

Default wow. nice 107!

M-

That is a beautiful 107. Thanks for posting those. I like the additions to the truck. It makes if feel even more robust and purposeful. I'm sure another Series truck will be in our future...

Thanks!

matt