I have a 1999 DII that has lost 2" in spring compression from OE- instead of 78" in height, it is 76". After 11 years & 114k w/original shocks & springs, you kind of expect this to happen.
So, I am purchasing from Rovers North the Terrafirma HD +2" spring and +2" All Terrain Shock kit, with a Terrafirma steering stabilizer (made by Allmakes 4x4 in the UK exclusively for Land Rovers). That means that the DII will have a height increase of 4" total from what it is now.
For the tires, here in the Northeast I need something with the snowflake on the mountain symbol for HD snow use and gets good life as well- I drive up to 40k/yr.
In the stock 255/65/16 size, no a/t tire exists with the snowflake designation (the General Grabber is not certified for that designation in this size).
I can lose 1/2" in width and gain 1/2" in height with the 245/70/16 size and still use the original 16" rims with the BFG All Terrains. This only results in -1MPH @ 60 MPH. No speedo adjustment needed.
I can also use a 255/70/16 with the original rims, which would keep the footprint the same and give me 1/2" increase in height. I then have a choice of the BFG A/T (115/122S), Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor (109T), General Grabber A/T 2 (111S), or even the General Altimax Artic (111Q). This size would give me -3MPH from the speedo, and I am guessing with minimal additional wear on the driveline.
I cannot use the vaunted 265/75/16 size as it adds another 1.3" in height, which is too much at this point.
Advice from my fellow enthusiasts would be appreciated, as I am unfamiliar with most of these tires. Thanks for the help.