Thread: Leak dripping off/from flywheel

Default Leak dripping off/from flywheel

I am trying to figure out the source of a a leak. I recently acquired a '71 IIa and it has a decent leaking that looks to be dripping out of the hole at the base of the flywheel. The fluid looks like engine oil. I've only had the car for a day so I am still getting acquainted with it. The engine is new and seems in great condition. No other signs of leakage from elsewhere in the engine. Any ideas? Maybe a rear main seal?

There's only two sources of oil on the IIa in that area. The rear main seal as you mentioned, or the input of the transmission, which on a IIa has no conventional seal.

Are both of those engine out jobs?

The rear main can be done without removing the engine but isn't one of those "fun" rover projects. If it's the tranny then the only thing you can really do is...park on a level surface or slightly up hill. Like I said, there is no real seal in the IIa transmission.
    Most likely it's your rear main though.

if its not contaminating the clutch and the leak is tolerable in its amount, I would leave it, but, that's just me. I did a rebuild and put in a new genuine seal and installed it according to instruction and years of experience. 8 months later it developed a drip. Regular use has it drying up but always marks where it is parked. That's why I like driving down grown in roads with lots of growth between the ruts. A million little fingers clean it off nicely underneath.

I agree about leaving it if it's not severe. Just keep checking the oil level. Mine leaks also, always has.

Quote Originally Posted by Burlsube View Post
    I am trying to figure out the source of a a leak. I recently acquired a '71 IIa and it has a decent leaking that looks to be dripping out of the hole at the base of the flywheel. The fluid looks like engine oil. I've only had the car for a day so I am still getting acquainted with it. The engine is new and seems in great condition. No other signs of leakage from elsewhere in the engine. Any ideas? Maybe a rear main seal?
    Mine leaks there too. If it wasn't meant to leak from there then there wouldn't be a drain hole

I added some 10w30 and it seemed to slow the leak a little. I noticed that my oil pressure is now on the high side (about 70 in 4th)