Thread: "Fuel washed" my engine = spun bearing

Angry "Fuel washed" my engine = spun bearing

Couple months ago while on my way back from a ROAV wheeling event my truck stalled out twice on the highway. Just sputtered a bit and died but it started right back up and ran fine after that. I thought maybe a bad condenser (new aftermarket 45D) or a bit of crap in the carb. At home I pulled the top of the carb off (Rochester) and inspected it, took apart the top half and cleaned what I could and figured I'd order another rebuild kit from NAPA ($19) and clean it up correctly, especially since I ripped the gasket putting it back together. I'll also order another condensor the next day from RN.

Drove it to work the next day (8 miles) and by the time I got there it was running very poorly, bucked in the parking lot, backfired and died. Open up the bonnet and fuel was coming out of the top of the carb! Mechanics I work with came over and found that I put the needle valve in upside down (classic potato head move) causing me to flood the engine. Fixed that and she started right back up BUT in about two minutes it developed a knock from the bottom of the engine.

They suspected fuel wash right away and the one mechanic agreed to take it home and check it out. He finally got around to pulling the engine and sure enough, spun bearing...all because of one moment of stupidity!!!!!

Only good thing is this guy is a perfectionst and my engine will be "better than new" when its all back together. My job is to supply the beer, clean the parts and learn. Expensive lesson but since I figure I'll be keeping this truck forever its just another Series oppertunity.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Not familiar with the term "fuel washed". Does this mean that raw fuel went by the pistons and down into the oil sump dilluting the oil? Can't think of any other way off the top of my head...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Yep. Although I have mostly heard of it in relation to diesels rather than petrols, but then again I have not encountered too many cases like that (like,.... none).

Sounds to me you got off cheap.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

bmohan,

That stinks, but it happens. Good thing you shut 'er down when you did. Is he just going to replace the bearings, or is he gonna do a full overhaul?
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by thixon View Post
    bmohan,

That stinks, but it happens. Good thing you shut 'er down when you did. Is he just going to replace the bearings, or is he gonna do a full overhaul?
    While my friend has it he's going to do a full rebuild (the guy insisted on it as he is quite the perfectionist) also new clutch and anything else he sees that is easily accessable with the engine out. Chaulking it up to a learning experiance, actually I'm looking forward to helping and learning from "the master".

Quote Originally Posted by bmohan55 View Post
    While my friend has it he's going to do a full rebuild
    woah woah.... slow down...this doesnt mean that you'll be absent from MAR does it?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    woah woah.... slow down...this doesnt mean that you'll be absent from MAR does it?
    'fraid so...moma won't let me play with her Disco anymore, even though I just put in a new Tom Woods driveshaft and finally got all the scratches rubbed out of it (couldn't do much about the dents and the way the bumper hangs down funny though). I've been really missing my truck so the site of all those nice Series rigs out playing just might cause me to break down and cry in my beer. Nobody wants to camp with a crybaby.

Quote Originally Posted by bmohan55 View Post
    'fraid so...moma won't let me play with her Disco anymore, even though I just put in a new Tom Woods driveshaft and finally got all the scratches rubbed out of it (couldn't do much about the dents and the way the bumper hangs down funny though). I've been really missing my truck so the site of all those nice Series rigs out playing just might cause me to break down and cry in my beer. Nobody wants to camp with a crybaby.
    I totally understand! Mine was in rough shape and almost didn't make it to MAR last year. Someone suggested I just go look at the other trucks, I nearly socked 'em.

If you do decide you can stomach it, I hope you'll think of my truck as your surrogate rig - would love to hit the trails with you again and drink a few cold ones