Thread: Replace Accumulator

Default Replace Accumulator

Any of you sages have experience replacing an accumulator on a
    '91 Range Rover?

I am new here, so forgive my rookie status.

Bill

It's in a tricky spot, bolts under the fender & alot of wiring in the way. Bleeding after replacement is a very specific procedure defined in the shop manual. Many bleeders (14 if if I remember correctly), a two man job with a pressure bleeder & 2 quarts of Castrol LMA fluid.

Pressure bleeder: Model 0100
    http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html

I have not replaced the accumulator but I have the Motive powerbleeder and would definitely recommend getting one!
    91 RR Hunter
    93 LWB Tdi

So this is not a simple operation!

Thanks, guys,

Bill

Default No easy solution/choices?

What would happen if I just replaced it? I realize that there is some old oil in the system . ...

This thing is charged with nitrogen I understand. How do you remove/install without losing charge?

Accumulators similar to this piece are used in many applications. There is a rubber diaphragm inside that isolates the nitrogen gas from the fluid:

http://www.oilairhydraulics.net/Diaphragm.htm

Changing it isn't that difficult, bleeding afterwards is time consuming, but not particularly difficult. Procedure needs to be followed to the letter, but it is well written in the Rover shop manual. Fluid should be replaced periodically regardless.