Thread: Making a Rover Speedometer Clock

Default Making a Rover Speedometer Clock

So...I took the day off and I'm working on an idea I had with a Ebay Rover speedometer I picked up for 20 bucks. It's off (of course) an old Series Rover and I want to turn it into a clock. You guys have any good suggestions for what clock guts to use for this? More importantly, hands that might match?

Default ...

Try a woodworking catalog for clock movements. Constantine's, Rockler and Woodcraft ought to have several to choose from. Regarding the hands, I'd go with the speedometer hand for the minutes. Maybe you could pick up a smaller smiths gauge that's busted, like an oil pressure gauge or something. You could use that needle as the hour hand. Sounds like a neat project.

Chris

this project stalled a long (long) time.......I couldn't figure out how to get the glass out without breaking/chipping the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions? thank you
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Default I have used a.....

..homemade curved screwdriver, ground to a point and bent at the end to pry up the bezel to free the glass on another project. This takes patience and time. This is not my pic, but approximates the process.

If you want to reinstall the glass, the method I am familiar with includes chucking the speedo in a lathe, face mounted to block of wood and "hand" turn the lathe with a smooth faced tool that bends back over the bezel to the base.

Jeff
    Last edited by 4flattires; 07-11-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

you can pick up a set of dental picks at Radio Shack or other electronics stores that have curved tips and such. These might not be be actual dentist-quality, but are good for fine work on electronics.