Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painless Harness Number?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S View Post
    The stock system with an altenator is fine for most people. I mean really, most of the Lucas issues come from cheap ass owners not addressing the entire system and cobbling together crap. I have the old wiring on my truck and it works real well. Simple is often the best. Updating some portions of the system are prefereable such upgrading the lighting section of the loom to get better performance but it really isn't fair to condemn a system based on simplicity and age. And reliability is based on the owner's standards. My truck is a rock.
    I agree that simple is better. My understanding from the OP was that the lighting ciruit had gotten hot and caused a dash fire. My interpretation was that although the lighting circuit was bad it had damaged the rest of the harness. So my advice was mostly aimed at replacing the entire harness. If you have a series truck with an original harness that is in good shape and you do not muck around with it then it should perform as good as they performed . If you want to upgrade various circuits them by all mean introduce relays, fuses, good quality wire, heat shrink, etc to the vehicle....gain performance and safety.

My main concern was the wiring for the headlights, since the switch blew and I was hoping to avoid a cab full of smoke scenario.

Either way, I looked into the Susquehanna Motor sports webpage and grabbed a simple H4 harness from them. Plus some Hella fog lights to boot.

The Painless harness (or a similar product) will be the way I go if/when I need to replace the wiring for the whole truck. But as mentioned in earlier replies, the rest of the truck seems to be holding its own. I have torn apart the dash a few times recently and there seem to be no issues readily apparent.

I will admit, the whole process has been educational and made me appreciate the electrical workings of the truck much more.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Winooski View Post
    Either way, I looked into the Susquehanna Motor sports webpage and grabbed a simple H4 harness from them. Plus some Hella fog lights to boot.
    Good choice. I purchase almost all my bulbs from them and usually their prices (and customer service) can't be beat.