Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tool? Changing the diff oil!

Default What tool? Changing the diff oil!

Hello,

Changed the tranny and OD oil this weekend. Nut on the tranny, and allen screw on the OD to drain---no problem.

The front & rear diffs and the transfer box have a big slotted round plug. I could not remove it to drain the oil. Is there a specific tool for this, and if so what is it called??

Regards,
    Julian

Is it an indented square on a round plug? If so, use a 1/2 ratchet extension with no socket attached. It'll fit in there perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by knac1234 View Post
    Hello,

Changed the tranny and OD oil this weekend. Nut on the tranny, and allen screw on the OD to drain---no problem.

The front & rear diffs and the transfer box have a big slotted round plug. I could not remove it to drain the oil. Is there a specific tool for this, and if so what is it called??

Regards,
    Julian

Use the heal of a 1/2 open-end wrench.

This is the specific tool. I use this on my rear diff drain plug; my front diff accepts the 1/2" square drive socket.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5706-drain-plug-tool-.aspx

As Andrew said, I have the specific tool, only because it came with the Rover from the previous owner. a 1/2 inch wrench will slide into the groove, and then you can use a second wrench attached to the shaft of the 1/2 inch wrench to turn it with some leverage. Don't waste your money on the specific tool, and I doubt you will find one available anywhere except a Land Rover specific site. I asked around at NAPA, and other various auto supply shops, and they had never heard of such a tool.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Default wrench

Id say the tool is worthwhile, make your own if you can. I pretzeled a snapon 1/2 wrench trying to get one unstuck . . .

Google "Drag link socket", it's like a giant screwdriver bit that fits on a ratchet. (works good for removing the bungs on oil drums too)
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Default Sears

Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Or replace them with 1/2" square drive plugs. Then all you will ever need is a 1/2" socket drive.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

I ground the shaft of a bolt flat so that I could turn it with a socket