Thread: New gas tank - lesson learned

Default New gas tank - lesson learned

So...when you get a new sales tank, and there is that rubber cap over the large hole....
    ah...
    don't drop that rubber cap into the tank.

That is all.

Haha.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Sounds like you're having cousindave kind of day!

any insight on how to get it back?

also, can you describe the look on your face as soon as it dropped into the abyss?

Quote Originally Posted by RoverForm View Post
    any insight on how to get it back?

also, can you describe the look on your face as soon as it dropped into the abyss?
    Here's the plan:
    Im going to take a 4 ft section of 1" wooden dowel and apply a liberal dab of 1 minute epoxy to the end and smush it on the the rubber cap. Once its dry, hopefully I can just pull it out. Plan B involves getting it close enough to hit it with a propane torch. Plan C involves plan B, only with me calling the fire department and then rovers north for a new tank.

Ask my wife about the look on my face after a challenging work day and a long business dinner. It was somewhere between disgust and defeat.

so sorry. i think you'd be alright if you could get your hands on some forceps as long as your arm...

Woot! My dowel and epoxy method worked on the first try!
    New tank is mounted and the Rover rides again! (but for some reason I didn't need 90% of the little trinkets that came in the tank replace kit from our hosts).

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    Woot! My dowel and epoxy method worked on the first try!
    New tank is mounted and the Rover rides again! (but for some reason I didn't need 90% of the little trinkets that came in the tank replace kit from our hosts).

I'm trying to get a fix on the gas tank hardware issue too....... when I pulled the tank from my 64 diesel it was in good shape externally (inside will need treatment) but there was minimal hardware, five nuts and bolts with washers..... that's all- mounting it directly to the chassis.

What were the 90% you did not use? And what purpose are they purported to serve?

Quote Originally Posted by kwd509 View Post
    five nuts and bolts with washers..... that's all- mounting it directly to the chassis.

What were the 90% you did not use? And what purpose are they purported to serve?
    (mine had 6 bolts)

Thats just it, I dont know. Some brass plates, some large funky bolt (not the drain plug), some random screws (every screw I needed came already in the new tank)... a strange 1" x 3" L bracket... and two rubber grommets. I dont see any of that stuff in the green bible.

Did you have extra rubber grommets? Mine mounted with the rubber grommets on the mounting bolts in between the flanges.

And congratulations on the dowel and epoxy setup. I was skeptical but now that is another trick to tuck away for when needed.
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green