Thread: ASAP! Serp Belt Tensioner: How do you release it?

Default ASAP! Serp Belt Tensioner: How do you release it?

I'm helping a friend remove the alternator on his '01 Disco. I'm sure the process is very simple. I've done some research but can't seem to find any good DIYs online.

Can someone tell me what type of Spanner is needed to release the tension on the belt tensioner?

Can you do it without a spanner?
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

You have to use the LR device to lower the tension of the serpentine belt. I am sure RN sells the thing. As my LR mechanic tells me with 20+ years of experience, "It ain't the type of thing Home Depot sells."

Really easy to do. Put a 15mm socket on the pulley bolt head and pull towards the centre of the engine. This will swing the pulley away from the belt and let you slip it off. Make sure you use a ratchet that is long enough to give you good leverage. Might be a good idea to unclip the top shroud first. A piece of cardboard against the radiator fins helps to protect it if the socket slips.
    Good luck
    Bill B

Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    You have to use the LR device to lower the tension of the serpentine belt. I am sure RN sells the thing. As my LR mechanic tells me with 20+ years of experience, "It ain't the type of thing Home Depot sells."
    Wow, he got you good didnt he.

Like i stated in the other post about this, its easy.

Le Shed explained it correctly.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)