Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 68 6cyl questions

Default 68 6cyl questions

Hi All,

I just bought a basket case 2.6 and have a few questions. Its a 109" pickup with a 'cap' of sorts. It is well made, pop riveted aluminium over angle iron frame with a tip up door on the back. The roof over the front seats is aluminium, probably original as it is formed. Sorry I don't have pics. Anyone know if this would be a rover item? There is also coil springs over the rear shocks. I'm guessing aftermarket? Is there a good source for engine bay pics? I tried searching for 6 cyl, 2.6 , etc. It doesn't work, the words are too short. Has anyone bought a frame recently in Canada that would like to share what they paid, and the supplier?

Thanks

I'll put some pics up and some links in the morning....coils in the back? Sounds like we need pictures too.

Does it look like this? Its almost a requirement for UK farmers.

Unless it has a Westlake head like what came with the NADA 109’s, an engine bay with a 2.6 looks similar to the below picture minus the air pump / air rail.

Here's some more of a euro 2.6, albeit a bit less polished:
    If you have the westlake head, check this postthread in the for sale section or pm someone in the NADA registry...

Quote Originally Posted by scottlong View Post
    Hi All,

I just bought a basket case 2.6 and have a few questions.There is also coil springs over the rear shocks. I'm guessing aftermarket?
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/heavy-duty-...61&zmap=873473
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Thanks for the pics, the engine looks the same but the brake booster is remote. The coilovers are likely aftermarket. I'll post some pics when I get them

thanks

Iibelieve all the photos are of siii 109s whereas yours would be a sIIa, hence the booster diference. Looking forward to the pics, sounds like a unique specimen...

So the 6 cyl is considered not good for much. Why? I gather that parts are hard to come by but is there reliability issues on top of that? Power difference not worth the economy loss? I'm unsure as to tossing it or digging into it to see what it will take to get it running.

If you like adjusting valves this is the perfect engine!! Saw on in Africa that had 300000km on it, owner adjusted valves every 4k. Basicly the 6cyl came from the 2.0l 4cyl from the series I, just 2 extra cylinders added. Hence lack of oil pressure is normal. Had a euro 6cyl at 75mph once.... many moons ago
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi