Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

Default Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

My #2 cylinder has 20lbs of pressure...Everything looks good under the valve cover and assume it is either a valve or piston issue and have decided to replace the entire engine and not second guess myself. Engine has not ran real smooth since I bought the truck and was planning on putting a fresh engine in once this one gave me a sign. I do not turn my own wrenches when it comes to inside the engine and have talked with my very capable mechanic and would like to purchase a complete engine to drop in. My preference is more power and am not scared of approaching the $5k mark. Want to stay with gas. I hope you folks could recommend a good reliable source.

Your thoughts are appreciated...
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

Our hosts sell them, though I'll be darned if I can find them listed anywhere on their site...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Unless your "mechanic" is just a 'remove & replace" kinda guy, why don't you have him rebuild your engine? The 'rebuilt' engines that RN used to sell came from the Ministry Of Defense, and the rebuilder could have been very very good, or very very horrid.

5k? You could get a complete turner enginer for that. Course you'd be wasting money. For less than half that you can have it rebuilt locally to the same effect...

Why not just rebuild it yourself? Instead of shelling out thousands for someone else to do it...spend the money on an engine stand, some tools, and the parts. Find a good race/machine shop in your area that will be willing to give you advice and help with analysis on what needs to be done. a basic rebuild might just involve replacing the journal bearings, honing the cylinders, and replacing the rings. If the block needs more attention you might need to bore the cylinders and adjust the rings accordingly (machine shop work).

If you have no time, space, or interest then just pay someone else to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post
    Unless your "mechanic" is just a 'remove & replace" kinda guy, why don't you have him rebuild your engine? The 'rebuilt' engines that RN used to sell came from the Ministry Of Defense, and the rebuilder could have been very very good, or very very horrid.
    Terry, I was hoping you would chime in...I appreciate your very to the point and in my opinion accurate thoughts. My mechanic can do anything but doesn't have any 1st hand knowledge rebuilding these engines....and we decided for an extra $1500ish why not just save us all the work of sorting out all the nuances that it takes to make this a pleasure to drive.

I am currently in discussion with ACR (Automotive Component Remanufacturing Ltd) in the UK and about ready to pull the trigger on their complete 2.8L solution with complete intake including carb and header.
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

I had an ACR Power Plus motor in my truck originally with the SU carb and intake. Honestly it was a sweet running engine and that carb setup was consistently trouble free and worked at any angle. Don't believe the hype that it is a huge upgrade in power though. Versus a tired 2.25 yes it will be a huge improvement, but it is still polishing a turd compared to a modern transplant. You will certainly be able to hold highway speed with one though.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Default ACR engine

Quote Originally Posted by SGS714 View Post

I am currently in discussion with ACR (Automotive Component Remanufacturing Ltd) in the UK and about ready to pull the trigger on their complete 2.8L solution with complete intake including carb and header.
    If you go with that option can you keep us in the loop on some of the logistical details if not too personal

Shipping time/price/hassle/company professionalism

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain132 View Post
    If you go with that option can you keep us in the loop on some of the logistical details if not too personal

Shipping time/price/hassle/company professionalism
    agreed
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

You can purchase a long block Turner "High Performance" 2.25 engine through Atlantic British in New York. You swap over your manifolds, carb, water pump, alternator, distributor, fuel pump, etc. That's what I did since I was looking for a drop-in replacement. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't much more than the RN engine and it was worth the extra $ IMO.

Here is how you pick it up:

...and here is what's inside: