Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

What are you getting for the extra $576 through AB? The RN site lists their engine as "new" rather than a rebuild.

I'm assuming the AB is a rebuilt, and realistically, I'd expect the RN one must be too despite the "new" label.

I agree that Turner is the leader in LR rebuilds, but last I knew RN's engines were Turner rebuilds too. That was awhile ago though.

??
    1970 88 IIA

The complete engines listed on the RN site are rebuilds of already-rebuilt military engines that they have done by a local shop. I bought one and RN came and got it back due to multiple quality concerns based on visual inspection only. Plus, the ancillary equipment (water pump, manifolds, fuel pump, carb, alternator) is all used stuff that is in 'servicable' condition at best. Check out the pictures below of the engine that I originally received from RN. When I asked RN to quote me a top quality rebuilt complete engine, the price I was quoted was $7500 . I found it to be more cost effective for me to buy the Turner long block and dress it out myself with new Genuine parts and parts that I rebuilt from my original engine.

For reference, this was the picture shown on the RN web site for the RNE568 Engine that I purchased:
    (Big difference, huh?)

wow
    1970 88 IIA

I also have a quote from Turner Engineering and we are at $4530 with current pound conversion delivered as a stripped engine. That is well below British Atlantic's price before ship. I will post ACR $'s when I get this deal put together. At this point I am looking at the 2.8l based on the 5 bolt block with tuned intake, carb, performance cam, and header. My gut is all this will run $1500-2000 more, including ship, than the Turner.
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

That engine is what I imagine any typical MOD rebuild would look like. I for one think it's a good thing that our hosts are sourcing them even if they aren't going to fit well in a 100 point truck.

I have to agree that some of that hardware would be best swapped out before slotting it into the engine bay but really, these are MOD rebuilds. Can we expect anything more?

I put one of the MOD rebuilds in my 109 P-up and it was great. The only thing I changed was that I kept the rochester that was on the truck when I bought it.

Which means somewhere I have a rebuilt solex sitting around . . .

The MOD doesn't mind spending $$$ on a re-build or new parts for such a re-build. As mentioned earlier though, these brilliant new parts could have been put together by some inbred slack jawed yokel who was still pissed off over his decision to take the army over prison.

Maybe I got lucky but I have been very pleased.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
    ...but really, these are MOD rebuilds.
    No, they are marketed & sold as RN rebuilds, with the RN price tag. RN only uses the MOD rebuild as a 'core' for their rebuild. If they were sold as a MOD rebuild, then I would agree with you.

I gotta agree with Jac04 on that one. I love RN and Les and Arthur have ALWAYS done right by me...but I'd be unhappy to receive the engine Jeff got after the outlay of cash, MOD or otherwise. To RN's credit, they clearly took care of the problem when it was presented. And I've found they've done the same for me on other issues over the years.
    1970 88 IIA

I suppose I read it to be MOD rebuilds and not rebuilt by RN. I can't seem to find these on the site for sale? Did RN stop selling them?

They are still listed, but don't know availability:
    http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...lternator.aspx