Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

This post makes me think people have given in and cast aside a rebuildable engine for something they just drop in. Where do these poor things end up?

They are still listed, but don't know availability:
    http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...lternator.aspx
    Maybe it's me but I'm not seeing a deception with that description. As stated on their page, I bet they really are "ready to run." Maybe just not ready to run to the Concours d'Excellence.

Don't read my take on this as an attack on your position or second guessing your experience. Obviously you didn't get what you expected. That much is clear. But at least they dealt with it correctly and refunded it for you. Correct?

I don't think it's fair to shun our hosts for offering a motor that is probably going to do just fine for most owners out there. If nothing else, at least it's an option to compare against when someone is looking for a replacement motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadstone View Post
    This post makes me think people have given in and cast aside a rebuildable engine for something they just drop in. Where do these poor things end up?
    Right now mine is in the box that the MOD engine came in , sitting in my garage. I pulled the head off of it to fix the head on my 109 SW.

The plan is to re-build it so I have a spare.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by Broadstone View Post
    Although I've probably shot my credibility for defending that ugly engine pictured above, I would gladly rebuild a 2.25 rather than buy a new one. So if anyone has any of these ship anchors sitting around gathering dust, just let me know.

People who can, rebuild, people who can't, buy a rebuilt
    Kevin

04 XJ8
    92 RRC
    02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
    72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
    70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
    Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
    90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
    72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    The complete engines listed on the RN site are rebuilds of already-rebuilt military engines that they have done by a local shop. I bought one and RN came and got it back due to multiple quality concerns based on visual inspection only. Plus, the ancillary equipment (water pump, manifolds, fuel pump, carb, alternator) is all used stuff that is in 'servicable' condition at best. Check out the pictures below of the engine that I originally received from RN. When I asked RN to quote me a top quality rebuilt complete engine, the price I was quoted was $7500 . I found it to be more cost effective for me to buy the Turner long block and dress it out myself with new Genuine parts and parts that I rebuilt from my original engine.

For reference, this was the picture shown on the RN web site for the RNE568 Engine that I purchased:
    (Big difference, huh?)
    Those pictures tell a whole story. Repainted is not rebuilt. A proper REBUILD will start by removing all the core plugs and freeze plugs, then boiling the block. There wouldn't be any evidence of rust, or old flaking paint. It doesn't look like the head was even off that engine Jeff. If the seller of that engine told me he had them bebuilt, I wouldn't buy it and would be suspect of wear internally. How do you renew the timing chain, and tensioner without pulling the front cover? How do you renew the mains and rod bearings with pulling the pan? How do you lap the valves and ridge the bore without pulling the head?

Well we are much better at saving what we have than our fellow owners in the U.K. as they discard many useful engines there. Even the 2.5 NAD, turbo and petrol engines do not mean much to them when the TDI's go in.

From the description page.
    A complete solution to a tired engine. Ready to run. These engines are complete with ancillaries. Designed for unleaded with performance 8:1 cylinder head. *Core charge for cylinder head only $ 100.00.

USE RTC2352G OR RTC2352A

Part#: RNE568
    It doesn't say it was rebuilt. In fact, it doesn't say anything about their source at all. Maybe this was a change in sales policy?

I have to take a step back because it seems Jeff was told these engines were rebuilt state side. If that's the case then I too would be upset as a buyer to receive that.

We should rename this thread! To, the engine that Jeff was unhappy with.
    Kevin

04 XJ8
    92 RRC
    02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
    72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
    70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
    Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
    90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
    72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

Sorry, didn't mean for it to turn into that. I just wanted to make sure that what happened to me doesn't happen to someone else.
    Last edited by jac04; 12-05-2010 at 05:08 PM.