Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

What many forget at looking at these numbers is, that is peak power and torque. What you forget is with new cam profile, and improved breathing, is the torque curve starts much lower with more available torque through to peak. Plus nothing beats extra displacement for power and torque improvements. IMHO

sorry all to double tap
    Cheers
    Greg

Ill admit that when I read you were paying $7k for an a built gas engine I nearly coughed up a lung. The performance numbers on it look good and if the build and finish quality are all top notch then its a little easier to understand....add to that any warranty and the turn key appeal and that's another plus. I go around in endless circles when thinking about rover engine swaps. There is a certain appeal to the stock rover engine for its simplicity. There is appeal to a rover v8 for the sound and grunt...then there are all the v6, v8, turbo 4, and diesel possibilities. If I ever ever build my 3 door 109 I am leaning towards a merc 300td engine.

Good luck with the acr unit and be sure to post pics, performance reviews etc. When it all comes together.

I was lucky to find a low mileage used on on Ebay UK, it's at ACR as we speak, and is having the head removed to check internal condition. All the ancillaries,are being replaced, and replacing the points with an electronic unit. I was just about to swap a TDi, when I found this engine. Thing is, any body with basic skills, or any garage can fix this motor, it doesn't get much simpler, other than No points, which can be swapped out. Another benefit that is overlooked as well, is extra breathing capacity of the motor does wonder at higher altitudes as well, with a simple jet change for nose bleed heights. You have near V8 power, at a fraction of fuel usage, and a heck of a lot less weight. With the constuction of the Hi roof adding only about 20k, with low COG, Light weight interior, and super efficient lighter engine, this is the best combination for an expedition type camper I could come up with. There is no one size fits all, this is what I think is the best of available components for my son, and my trip to South America, at about 40% the cost of new.

Actually a Rover V8 weighs a good bit less than the 2.25 unit. Your gas mileage won't be much different either, my ACR 2.25 got about 11-12MPG.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

This is true, I stand corrected.
    Greg

Default Pic of ACR 2.8

Below is pic before shipping...
    .Attachment 4408
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

pretty...

I think you would be better off with the standard exhaust manifold. I'd be happy to take that one off your hands.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    I think you would be better off with the standard exhaust manifold. I'd be happy to take that one off your hands.
    No NO! I'm closer... Better give it to me.