Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

Very nice looking. Even I would be happy with that!

Could you give us an idea what the freight side of this order is???

C

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Could you give us an idea what the freight side of this order is???

C
    A lot more than I wanted. Brought a RPI 4.6 V8 over last winter and it ran around $625usd, this one is costing me $956usd.
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    I think you would be better off with the standard exhaust manifold. I'd be happy to take that one off your hands.
    Roughly $340usd + shipping to you from me and I can get Roland to put another pair in the box for you.
    93 D110 NAS 327
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

Quote Originally Posted by SGS714 View Post
    Terry, I was hoping you would chime in...I appreciate your very to the point and in my opinion accurate thoughts. My mechanic can do anything but doesn't have any 1st hand knowledge rebuilding these engines....and we decided for an extra $1500ish why not just save us all the work of sorting out all the nuances that it takes to make this a pleasure to drive.

Find a new mechanic- rebuilding a 2.25 isn't exactly rocket science. If he isn't willing to do the work that is pretty telling.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Broadstone View Post
    This post makes me think people have given in and cast aside a rebuildable engine for something they just drop in. Where do these poor things end up?

Ben Smith and Cristina Calado(I think) bought like 25 old 2.25 engines from that old shop in NH. So some people salvage them. There isn't a huge market in single cores though. I've seen a lot stored for a while over the years before someone finally gets sick of walking around them and scraps them. I junked my last core 2.25 when the price of scrap went up, no one wanted it.

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post
    You have near V8 power, at a fraction of fuel usage, and a heck of a lot less weight. With the constuction of the Hi roof adding only about 20k, with low COG, Light weight interior, and super efficient lighter engine, this is the best combination for an expedition type camper I could come up with. There is no one size fits all, this is what I think is the best of available components for my son, and my trip to South America, at about 40% the cost of new.
    You also have an engine of smaller displacement and higher weight that will have to work harder
    to overcome the aerodynamics and weight of the vehicle. Even an American iron V8 could be roughly the same weight and far greater displacement. Swapping to a V8 or V6 doesn't always mean a penalty in fuel economy or complexity.
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/fuel_economy.htm

177 FtLb @ 2300 RPM 117 BHP @ 4100 RPM @11mpg

With a 4 the biggest advantages are the simplicity of the install and the lack of mods required to the drivetrain due to the small gain in power.

Land Rover UK Forums

Default MPG's

The owner of this engine stated average of just over 14 mpg( D110) with lots of mud play. In speaking with Roland at ACR with the addition of the Magnetronic points replacement, and 110 specific exhaust (more efficient tan Series), 16 +mpg will be normal. I am saying, peak power doesn't tell the whole story, it's the improved usable power band that makes the big difference, I will not running around at peak RPM's all day. Yes if the throttle was always on the floor, it would suffer greatly, and probably do your stated mpg, but that is not my intention, or how I drive. To me, the increased engine efficiency is the greatest advantage, nothing more. I think this engine is a great upgrade, and best suits my needs, and wants. Just as SGS714 is stepping up and acting, so am I, and thrilled about it as well.
    Greg

I pulled the block apart from a Saab 9-5 that had a piston break apart at 60000 miles for some reason. Block, crank, etc are all in good condition. Engine is a 16v low pressure tubo that makes about 185 hp and equivalent torqe. I believe its a 93 mm piston...not sure on stroke...probably fairly square. Though its not the ultimate truck engine its an easy one to play with. Hp/torque in the 250/250 range is easy. Playung with turbo selection and fuel injection tuning can bring power on line at lower rpms. Nice compact crossflow design...could easily build into a rover with all adapters for much les...I'll take notes if I try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post
    I am saying, peak power doesn't tell the whole story, it's the improved usable power band that makes the big difference, I will not running around at peak RPM's all day. Yes if the throttle was always on the floor, it would suffer greatly, and probably do your stated mpg, but that is not my intention, or how I drive. To me, the increased engine efficiency is the greatest advantage, nothing more. I think this engine is a great upgrade, and best suits my needs, and wants. Greg
    X2 what Greg said.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S View Post
    x2. A nice rebuild from a local shop and the 2.25 does nicely. The 2,2,5 is what it is.

$7,100 for that motor is a complete rip -off.
    And I think someone that spends $7100+ on a galv chassis and a flawless bulkhead and then repaints everything after cleaning every nook and crany is not quite right, but I would not say they ripped themselves off....No....We all value different aspects of these great trucks. I value a powerplant that runs flawlessly and will pull me and a couple guys and a dog trailer to any remote hunting site I choose and more to the point.....I want it to get me home also, without having to work on it or having 10 trucks stack up behind me going up a grade....That adds stress to my life. I don't see the value in a shiney frame, but I can appreciate them.

I can be in the field with 3 guys....One might have $300 pump shotgun and another have a $7000 side by side from Italy.....and I carry anything between a $1500-$5000 gun, but none of us cares, we are all enjoying the sport. Don't even get me started on dogs and the spread in dollars invested among my freinds.....We all value different things.

When I'm not working, hunting, or spending time with my family I am probally sleeping....I do not have the ability or time to turn wrenches and value dependability and the no stress benefits of an engine that cost me $7100. I will own this truck for a long time....after amortization I don't care what the engine cost.

You want to feel rightious...feel rightious towards the guy that pays $140k from Orvis for a truck...not me and my total investment of $13k for a solid truck and fresh engine.

Ok...I feel much better now that I got that out of my system, please carry on with your discussion.

Scott
    93 D110 NAS 327
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB