Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

Quote Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post
    Here is some info on mileage. While many are saying mileage will be scary low mpg, due to average weight of average expedition vehicle. This is not an average anything, now, or when I have it ready to leave. Lizzy will not be loaded down with every piece known to man, nor have every creature comfort. I will construct the interior as light as possible, while being durable enough to make the trip. That being said, will take a lot of stress off the vehicle, which should help with reliability. We all drive different, and there are too many variables to guess. The question never arose before I purchased the motor, and asked later on. The previous owner real world figures are 14+ off road, and on last trip laning in France, loaded for two was over 16mpg. This is with points in the dizzy. I am installing a Magnetronic points replacement in a new dizzy, with exhaust modifications, and talking with Roland I should get 16+ off road, and expect more with long highway stretches. I have no reason to doubt either statements, as I had already bought the motor, and Roland's reputation is on the line. I will have 145ltrs aboard, and doubt fuel will be a problem. I will research fueling a little further out, when a rough route is better defined, and have extra Scepters if I think it will be a problem. Almost sounds like everyone would be happier if I got a diesel Toyota LC, which has about 1/2 the interior space as Lizzy.
    I think its pretty clear that everyone would have been happier if you just bought a prius

That was funny.

Personally, I just don't get the whole "expedition thing" anyway. Just seems like a huge waste of time, money, and vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S View Post
    That was funny.

Personally, I just don't get the whole "expedition thing" anyway. Just seems like a huge waste of time, money, and vacation.

its easy to get caught up in the "Expedition" preparation and end up going way overboard and then of course never going on said expedition. I don't think I could stand driving a rover so many miles...I'd much rather do it on a motorcycle.

Having undergone a 12.5 hour spinal reconstruction surgery, my time available to do a trip of this magnitude is limited. The surgery was not to make me better, only to keep me from being paralyzed from the damage of an accident after my first surgery. At the rate I am going, I have about 3 years before this is not possible. My son, now in college busting balls to make a better life for himself, wants to take a break after graduation, and wants to spend time together with dad, and see South America. what better way to do this. This has nothing to do with getting caught up in anything. I am an optimist, and rather act, and move forward, rather than do nothing and complain about this and that. If We are not able to make the trip as planned, then we can modify it as best as possible. Diesel, petrol, not as many Land rovers anymore, blah blah blah we are not siting on our butts, we are doing the best we can, with what we have. Isn't that what Land Rovers are all about. Funny how this comes from simply one person telling another great motor, happy for you. Sounds like a bunch of Toyo purists lurking and naysayers who have nothing positive to say about anything. Done.
    Cheers,
    Greg

and some folks don't get Land Rovers!

Greg, I think it is great that you are planning the trip with your son! Especially if you think that you have limited comfortable 'Travel time' left. I would love to go exploring all over in my Land Rover whether I call it camping or an expedition.

I look at the difference between camping and expeditions like my jobs in film. Camping is like a commercial, it might be for a day or two or even a week. An expedition is like a TV series, it could last for months or even years - but I'm still doing the same type of work.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Thanks for that. Having to retire at 43, almost 8 years ago, things have been a bit tough. Engineering has provided me a comfortable life, great working projects, and traveling all over, doing what I do.And even though my health is not the best, I choose to live on. Sure things move slowly most of the time, but I am doing something constructive, with a goal to attain. It's all to easy to criticize others sitting on your couch, I choose to get the hell out of Dodge while still possible. How many of your children out there want to spend time with you? And I'm suppose to worry about this engine, or that engine, or aerodynamics? Wrong answer. I am pretty much the luckiest dad out there, and will be out there on the road with my son enjoying our time together, that is all that matters. People forget what is important, I feel sorry for you, you are the ones in bad shape. This thread is way off base, and I apologize to all for that. I have stated my opinion, and I'm done. I have work to do.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Default engine

Do what you want to do. And in the words of the late great Warren Zevon "Enjoy every sandwich." That pretty much sums it up.
    Jim Wolf

Greg, you're one of the few lucky parents whose kids want to spend time with them, and that's a gift today.
    I've got a dozen years on you, and my twins are grown. One is stationed in the CG in Kodiak, AK, so as far as "expeditions", BTDT. I agree with the premise that too many people put too much emphasis on making their Land Rover an 'expedition' vehicle, when all they end up doing is going camping. Personally, I love comping out of my Defender, but unless I somehow got warped back to my 20s, would prefer to do any expeditions in a nice Roadtrek or other such mini motorhome. Here's why, and maybe your orthopedic surgeon would be wise to check into this too.
    Stock Defender seats are in no way, shape, or form, appropriate for anyone with back issues. In fact, leafer, or coil sprung, anything other than the cushy new stuff is the only LR you ought to be playing with.
    I replaced the seats in my defender in '02, and they are far better than stock, with high bolsters and lumbar support. That said, 6 hours from here to our place in Maine is absolute hell and I pay dearly. I too have back issues, and it's only because Ive been playing with Land Rovers for over 40 years that I keep doing it. I'm not a total masochist though, I do have a pretty nice Volvo wagon with damn nice seats.
    You seem to get kinda pissy when people say something that sounds like a wrench in your works, and I think engines should be the least of your concerns. I'd hate to set off on the trip of a lifetime with my son, and begin regretting it 500 miles into the trip. You can get pissy with me too if you want. My son has way more enthusiasm than I do, and sometimes I have difficulty not joining in. I don't want to remember something we did together as the worst experience in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by lrdukdog View Post
    Do what you want to do. And in the words of the late great Warren Zevon "Enjoy every sandwich." That pretty much sums it up.
    Jim Wolf
    Exactly! I'm not sure why anyone would get all bent about what someone spends their time or money on. It's their junk, they can do what they want.
    To argue about HP numbers or mileage, etc. is one thing but some of this is just outright dumb.....

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Exactly! I'm not sure why anyone would get all bent about what someone spends their time or money on. It's their junk, they can do what they want.
    To argue about HP numbers or mileage, etc. is one thing but some of this is just outright dumb.....
    I disagree...people should only spend money on what I tell them to because I know whats best for everyone.