Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: block heater options for 2.6 engine

Default block heater options for 2.6 engine

Anyone with experience in the past know if the 2.25 block heater fits the 2.6 engine? I am guessing it will not, so I'm trying to determine what my options are. As of now my rover is outside and not in the garage because it won't start due to the 20º temp here today.

A magnetic heater that sticks to the oil pan works wonders as it warms up the oil and heat rises from the bottom up. I have seen these on old tractors and do not need to be a permanent fixture.

Yeah I think that is the plan, maybe an inline lower radiator hose heater as well or alternatively. just curios if there was a motor specific option.

I tried again this AM to start Toad, I put a charger on the battery to give it a bit of help. No dice. So I'm probably going to have to buy the generic if I want to get the truck out of the way in my driveway, but before hand I crawled under and looked for the plug. Here is the side with the most plugs in it:

A little research on UK forums last night shows that the threaded plug there is used for the Arctic heater according to this thread on forum.landrovernet.com, but someone there also states it was used for a block pre heater. As this port is found on the 2.25 engine as well, I was curious if anyone knows the size/thread count? No local auto stores here
    carry the magnetic or radiator hose heaters so if I have to order something I'd rather get a screw in type.

You can definitely get the truck out of the drive if you have a cast iron frying pan and some charcoal.

Put the charcoal in the pan and light it. Let everything burn til there are only coals and no flames then slide under Rover's engine. Keep an eye on it but leave it for 10-15 minutes or so then start your truck. Works best if there isn't much wind.

If you have a paved drive I would put some wood under the pan.

Or leave a couple work lights with 100 watt incandescent bulbs on in the engine compartment and throw an old blanket over the hood covering the radiator too - this may take a bit longer.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

I think I shamed it into starting by putting it on facebook and here, I had to give a turn over a few times and let the battery recover. Still its a temporary solution...
    Thanks for the tips though, if it was closer to lunch I might have done it and cooked something at the same time...

EDIT

some more digging and it appears to be 1" BSPT, so I'm not going to find any thread in heater at NAPA methinks
    Last edited by Cutter; 12-16-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Cutter, the plug you have circled is not where the block heater goes. It goes into one of the freeze plug holes, either side of the plug you circled.

Ok, I knew those were freeze plugs from my reading, but was mentally focused on the threaded bit. So if I measure that diameter with some calipers I may be able to find one that matches I'm assuming. How does one remove that lovely plug with no discernible edges?

Usually use a drift punch on one side to "turn" the plug, then pull it out with channel locks or something similar.

Easy enough, I'll let things warm up before I pour coolant all over myself. Thanks all!