Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POWDER COATING

Quote Originally Posted by lrover109 View Post
    Had mine done by the boys as Les Schwab a number of years ago - cleaned up quite nice and didn't cost a ton either
    Nice. I went by Les Schwab yesterday to take advantage of this service, but they're were closed :/

Do you remember if their color selection had something close to limestone?
    '67 sIIa 88

not sure - I had an ex MOD so went with the idea that they would be black from the get go-they did have a number of other colors though just never bother to look at them

The color code for my wheels is "RAL 1015".
    (see post #7 this thread for pic)
    Any powder supplier should be able to supply this color.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.
    Lick it once, and you'll suck forever.

taking these dirty beasts in this week for a powder coat in 10% gloss matte black.
    i'm having a local shop do it, they blast, clean and coat for $45/wheel. sounds reasonable but we'll see how they turn out. even a rough result would be better than the current chipped and flaking forrest green.

has anyone had a shop powder coat wheels in such poor nic? how'd they turn out?

the color should turn out something like this:

Those rims will definitely look better after a fresh coat of powder. masonater had some excellent tips. I work at an industrial paint and powder coat shop in Southern NH (USA) and we powder car, truck and motorcycle parts all the time. One tip that works well for us is to give the parts a light hand-sanding (220 & 320 grit) after sand/bead blasting. We've done a bunch of custom 4X4 bumpers and corvette frames... sadly no rover frames.

And if the shop you are working with doesn't have the color match you want in stock you could certainly get it (there are a bazillion colors) but it does drive costs up to order custom powder.

i agree, they are horrid now. but i dropped them off this am so we will see what thursday brings. i doubt they are going to hand sand. but they use a 50hp industrial blaster so that outta do it. have you done parts that look as beat up as these?

the flat black they had in stock was good enough for me. it's a landy and a truck, it's usually dirty and since i'm not doing the wheels in period correct limestone, black is black.

but, yeah anything would be better than what i left them with... i even gave them my gas cap to coat cause the P-PO had it done in a nice, orange peeled, primer gray.
    Last edited by RoverForm; 02-23-2012 at 11:40 PM.

so here's the 10-degree matte black before they put them in the oven tomorrow. i have to say that the nasty old paint and rust cleaned off nicely from the blasting.

i'll pick them up saturday morning.

Have we done parts that look that bad? - Yes. Sandblasting is great at cleaning parts, but the degree to which the rust has eaten the metal can be tough. Powdercoat can "hide" many imperfections, but probably not on those wheels, they were pretty rough.

I like flat black / gloss black wheels on just about everything! And if you ever get "crazy" and decide you actually want to wash them once they get dirty, a little windex will have them looking like new...

done. i think they came out damn good considering their previous condition.

Last edited by RoverForm; 09-25-2011 at 02:27 PM.

They look great!
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2