Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disco 1 Dash curling

parts trucks are cheap. I just bought a 96 with bad brakes and interior issues for 500 bucks and it runs great, no tick or smoke... You'll find one... A really decent truck shouldn't be more than 3-4k LSE maybe 5 tops... Be careful or you'll wind up like some of us and have several of the things lol...Hopefully with a understanding other half
    2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
    1998 Disco LSE 7 50th anniversary Baluga Black
    1996 Disco XD Trek number 4 and Camel Selections
    1969 Series 2A 109

inregards to air bag deployment, according to land rover it takes 3 minor incidents to deply airbags, thatt is sudden decelerations and or impacts below 35mph of course a few other things must meet the criteria such as braking, force of impact seat belt pretensioner activation...
    at above 35 pmh, all it takes is a sudden impact to the front end for it to think it has been in a collision and deploy. so single slow or sudden impact below 35mph will not deploy them... two more similar to the first may do so....on the dash issue, d1 and 2 are the same, all nescesary wiring is held on to them, the rest stay on the firewall main harness, all has disconnecting plugs, you may want to remove radio, heater controls and center console for ease of removal, as well as steering wheel... the main securing bolts, nuts are located on the sides by the kick pannels, on each side of the tunnel, behind the instrument cluster and behind the glove box/airbag on the right side.... lots of little pieces but well worth it...time consuming for a newbie...

35 mph is pretty general. It depends on the decceleration I would think, not the speed of impact. You hit a concrete wall at 35 or something collapsable such as a car it will vary. The sensors react to decceleration...Since every accident is different, one at 35 may or may not cause the airbags to deploy just as an impact less than that may. I do not know how the system would detect 3 minor impacts and then surprise you with a deployment on the last. That doesn't make any sense.
    2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
    1998 Disco LSE 7 50th anniversary Baluga Black
    1996 Disco XD Trek number 4 and Camel Selections
    1969 Series 2A 109

trust me I know it doesn't make sense, land rover class is the first time I had ever heard of such happening so what I quoted is what the instructor said I drive a 95 classic and I asked if it applied to said model he replied with a shrugg and a "yes"... he went on to explain those "older" models wore srs just to meet safety regulations... he did not go into further details.
    I drive a honda as well and the owners manual warns agaist running onto speed humps, curb or into deep pot holes at speeds because the deployment sensor for srs is located on a collapsible steering column, so if it feels an impact on the front wheels and meets sudden decelation it can deploy the bags with out a crash.
    the basic activity of a srs sensor is as you mentioned, a ball held onto a magnet which when relised will close a circuit and cause deployment... as to what a manufacturer thinks should be a proper deployment case is up to the design engineers.
    in a general srs class, the techs were warned against using the old proven method of beating on the steering components in order to release ball joints, but rather begin using proper tools such as presses and the like, simply because the impact on suspension and or steering components could be perceived by sensors as a crash impact thus deploying bags.
    after all everything is electronic and electronics can be finichy. forget the land rover/lucas gremlins, that a whole different can of worms.