Thread: Daily Driver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Daily Driver

Hey guys, been on and off here for a little while. Debating on getting my first rover. I am looking at 109. Just curious if these make good daily drivers. I am fairly inclined mechanically, once I get comfortable with it. Any thoughts greatly taken.

They make great Daily Drivers if you are a good daily repairer. Go diesel or V8 if you have any highway to do. Good tires can make up for the leaf springs (dont get 10 plies!).
    67 angry hamsters

No, not a tremendous amount of highway at all. I live in a rural area. I work five minutes from home as well. I am looking for something different, that I can work on, and be fun ( as fun as vehicle can be). Right now I am looking at fj40s, and series rovers, either 109 or 88. I am leaning toward rovers, I like the alloy bodies and simplicity ( or are they not that simple ).

Default They are simple.

If you like old slow noisy trucks it will work out fine if you can fix things yourself. Or have deep pockets. 5 miles is nothing. i drive mine all over when there isn't salt on the roads. They are actually pretty reliable with a little maintenance. I would guess that most people that have a lot of issues with them are one of two things:

-not that great at fixing anything
    -not that great at leaving things alone and hence taking things apart for no reason.

I have been know to be both of those things at times.

Good luck.

Default Rovers vs. Cruisers

I have been a cruiser person in the past and my buddy who is still a cruiser person has been fiddling with my rover for awhile now. He isn't impressed yet but Toyota guys are sort of like that. I was like that too. They are about the same thing to me now.

Thats funny you said that. I agree with leaving things alone when not broke. I am looking at cruisers as well. The issue I am having is pricing. I can get more rover for the same money or slightly more. Also, everyone I see that I like in the condition I am looking for, always has a small block chevy. Rover folks know that what they have is great and leave it alone. The reason I am looking at these, whether it be a 109 or 88, is 1) I can work on it ( or most of of it), 2) they are pretty damn cool 3) I live in a sea town, so the aluminum bodies will hold up ( just worry about the frame). From what I understand, these were designed to be simple to work on in the field, with minimum tools etc..which is right up my alley.