Thread: Air conditioning

Default Air conditioning

What was the first year and model Land Rover put air conditioning units in the Defenders or Series? Just curious.
    Last edited by fishhunt22; 04-08-2007 at 08:43 PM.

You mean in a series truck?
    I didn't think there was such a thing...

A/C?

The Series has always had A/C. its the 2/2/55 kind. 2 windows open, 2 vents open, 55 miles per hour (that is if your series will do 55)

Or just take the top off.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

That kind of "A/C" wasn't much comfort for me when I had my '69 Series IIa as my daily driver in south Florida, especially stopped in traffic.
    1969 Series IIa 88, 1972 Series III 109,
    1976 Forward Control 101, 1976 MG Midget,
    2003 Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by archaeologistjen
    That kind of "A/C" wasn't much comfort for me when I had my '69 Series IIa as my daily driver in south Florida, especially stopped in traffic.
    <cornyjoke>No but I bet you were probably in the coolest vehicle. </cornyjoke>

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    You mean in a series truck?
    I didn't think there was such a thing...
    You could order air conditioning starting somewhen in the mid 1960's.

They were bulky things, with the main unit sitting high on the bulkhead poping up through the bonnet. They made adjusting valves a pain but they did indeed provide a nice flow of cold air.

This is what one looked like from the outside sticking up through the bonnet.

Here's a picture with the bonnet up. You can see the top of the compressor next to the relocated air filter. The voltage relay and fuse block had to be relocated to the wing side.

This picture shows where the air conditioner outlet vents were located to blow cold air on the faces of the driver and front seat passanger. The conrols were push bottons on their own aux. panel.

The long answer is Yes, you could have ordered a Series Land Rover with air conditioning. I'm sorry that I do not know the exact years in which it was offered nor the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn
    You could order air conditioning starting somewhere in the mid 1960's.
    TeriAnn, you are a veritable fountain of information.

Was this a Land Rover option or was it under contract? Kind of like the doormobile was, as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    Was this a Land Rover option or was it under contract? Kind of like the doormobile was, as I understand it.
    Like the Dormobile it was "approved by the Rover Co. Ltd, for use with the Land Rover" Which indicates that like a Dormobile, you could order a Land Rover equipped with Normalair air conditioning at your local Land Rover dealer.

as an aside, I have a January 1962 USA Land Rover price list that includes Dormobile campers built on the 109 station wagon platform. They were listed for $5,280.00 At the same time the 109 station wagon was listed for $3,925.00. So, rich Americans could just pop down to their local Land Rover dealers and order a Dormobile!