Thread: Heating unit questions

Default Heating unit questions

In my effort to remove a cracked and leaking heater matrix I managed to break the plastic control piece that comes out of the potentiometer that attaches to the top center lever on the climate control which I believe is: RND581 POTENTIOMETER - A/C. The RN website says they are NLM and to contact you. Do anyone have a good spare?

Am I remembering the advice correctly that one should go ahead and replace the blower motor at the same time of the heater matrix?

I found all sorts of crap in and around the matrix including a build up of the foam material on the flaps/louvers within the housing. Has anyone replaced the foam? Doesn't look like its possible but the foam and it looks to continue to fall off. Should I scrub the remaining foam off so it doesn't continue to fall off and blow into the rover.

Thanks,

Mark
    93 RRC LWB 195K

I broke the potentiometer too. Find a used one -like you're trying to do. Be really careful with the heater box and all of the climate control levers and cables. When I had mine back together all I had was defrost because I had bent a control for the heater flap.

Several people have replaced the foam. Dig it out of the recesses and buy some 3M foam similar in size/density and replace it if you want.

Replace the blower motor. I did NOT. A few years later the goddamn thing quit and I just said screw it and left it that way.

If I were to do it all again, I would buy a complete heater box from someone and slowly and carefully rebuild it so it would be a quick swap when doing yours. Take your time, label **** in baggies and even take pictures.

If anyone is thinking of proceeding in the manner described by Jerry, I actually have a complete, working heater box. From what I was told by the fellow from these boards that I got the box from, the core and blower motor are recent.

So, anyone looking forward or not, to crossing the Rubicon, I have a complete box, ready for installation. No need to pry the Rubic's cube apart to replace the core or motor. Someone has already done that for you.
    paulgrant@mac.com
    203-770-1699