Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1961 Series II 109 - SOLD

Default 1961 Series II 109 - SOLD

SOLD

Putting my old girl up for sale. I'm not driving the truck enough to justify it taking up the garage space and it needs some work.

This is a preliminary listing with more details and pics to come later. There are some pics of it in the Land Rover section under "Show pics of your LR."

I bought the truck in 2007. It was restored on a new galv. frame in approx. 2000. I have the receipts and a photo album from the guy who did the work. The truck came from Mass.

Odometer shows 59K+, but don't know if it could be 159K. Likely not the way it runs. It has the 2.25 gas engine with a high-ratio gear box so can exceed 60mph. Weber carb; alternator; screw-on oil filter adapter in place. Does not smoke. Starts after a few tries, but always starts and doesn't die. Smooth idle (for a 109).

Replaced brakes in March 2007 - drums, master cylinder, etc. I have all receipts of work done. Stops well enough for a Series truck.

Frame is great. Minimal surface rust below windscreen on pass. side (silver dollar size); same around edge of safari top (couple spots); otherwise, none.

Rear doors are straight and tight. Drivers door needs a bit of a slam and doesn't line up perfectly, but never bothered me too much. Passenger front door is better than the drivers, but needs a slam as well. I'm sure all could easily be adjusted.

Consiton green paint on body is good, although does have some bubbling on the rear door and some light peeling around rivets on one of the sides. I also kissed the center post of the garage shortly after getting the truck, so there is a good-sized white scuff on the right rear quarter panel - no dents or scratches.

Alpine white safari top in good condition.

Elephant hide seats throughout, including side-facing jump seats in the rear. Shoulder belts up front and on B-pillars in second row, lap belt in center of second row (from D110 - installed in 2007).

La Salle interior - panels on all doors, roof and around alpine windows. Not perfectly installed, but adequate.

Issues: oil leak (go figure); weeping passenger side wheel cylinders; rear axle seal seepage; fuel neck leaks and the tank appears to have a hole as well. I will outline these issues in detail in next post.

Does not have a heater (never needed one here in CA), so no defrost; no wiper motor installed (but I may have one around).

Tires are Hercules AT 235/85/16 - 75% tread, but some cracking. Have two used spares mounted on alpine white stock wheels - both wheels need sanding and paint, one more than the other due to rust.

The truck has both bonnet and rear door mounts for the spares. Has a trailer hitch, but no wiring. Has entry steps mounted at all 5 doors. Has a Superwinch with steel-braided line.

Have hemmed and hawed about selling for the better part of the past year and have decided it's time. It needs to go to someone who will drive it regularly. I will definitely get another some day.

More specifics and pics on request.

Price: Really struggling with this... need to discount for necessary repairs, so thinking $14,000. But am open to reasonable offers. With some relatively minimal work and a few new parts, this truck would be one of the nicest around.
    Last edited by GriffSC; 05-10-2011 at 11:10 PM.

PM sent

Veryhandsome truck, who ever buys it has a beauty
    Best,
    Mark

Griff asked me to check this truck out before he bought it since it was only an hour away, and, FWIW, after spending an hour going over it, looking for any faults, my assessment to him, over the phone, was simply "buy it". Knowing Griff, I am stuned at his honest, and forthcoming list of the trucks 'faults'. It is substantially better than one might think from his write-up, and certainly better than alot of the 'perfect' trucks I see listed.

Thanks, old man!

It's true, Terry checked the truck out for me and his exact words were, "If you don't buy it, I will." Then again, I think he might have been working for the seller, knowing Terry.

Of course I was. I've been living off that commission check for 3 years. Sheesh

Please send me more photos to rodoariel@gmail.com

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BIEKE View Post
    Please send me more photos to rodoariel@gmail.com

Thanks!

pm'd.

Nice looking truck sent you a pm hope it's still for sell
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingels View Post
    Nice looking truck sent you a pm hope it's still for sell
    Thanks
    You've got a pm.