Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud Clanking and rough idle

Whoops! Coil wire came off, here is it running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAi4jpwCKYg
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

I didn't hear the knocking in the last video.

Does it only happen under load?
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Yes, from a cold start it doesn't really make the noise but after running for about a minute it makes the noise in the first video I posted.
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

In the video it sounded like 'dieseling' to me. If that only happens under load then check to make sure the weights in your distributor aren't frozen.

If it happens all the time when it is warmed up, I'd look for something that has shifted or loose that somehow rubs on something else once warmed up.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

This sounds very similar to the problem I posted about a few weeks ago. Still don't know what it is. Does your sound only occur when your foot is on the gas? If you coast at any speed does it make the knocking? Mine sounds like it was coming from the bell housing but nothing is touching or rubbing in the clutch/starter motor area. Does it make the sound if you are driving and put your foot on the clutch and then rev the engine? Will it make the sound if you are parked and in neutral and rev the engine?
    ...sorry for all the questions
    Neil Hanekom
    '73 LHD 88
    '75 FFR 109 exMOD Build Photo's
    '99 D1

I believe I hear it faintly when the engine is at idle, but it really only appears when the engine is under load. If I rev the truck I can hear it but it has to be a pretty high rev.

scatterling- it makes the noise in netural, with or without the clutch in. Yes only on the gas, when I come off the throttle in gear it goes away.

Heres the strange part, I just took the valve cover off (for the 3rd time today haha) and the engine started right up. Idled great, but when I put it back on I couldnt get her to start...

I feel like the sound is coming right from above cyl 2 or 3. I am thinking about pulling the head off tomorrow if its not raining to bad. How big of a task is this that I am thinking of taking on? I mean I know its not going to be done in 10 min but I suppose I dont really have a choice if I want to find out the problem.
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Get an automotive stethoscope and try to pinpoint the sound. I never had issues with the engine not running. The knocking wasnt evident until the oil warmed up and there was a load. I just drove mine until it got so loud I knew exactly what it was, not a great idea. Had to have Matt at Overland rebuild a significant amount of the ways they were so chewed up.

Kelsey, it sounds like a con rod knock to me. Too synchronous and too "dense" a noise to be a loose mount or exterior component. Not pinging, it's too isolated for that. If it is a connecting rod bearing versus a main bearing, that isn't any better news because once you have the bottom end opened up you are going to want to rebuild the whole thing. How much oil pressure are you getting?
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

At idle about 25psi and normal driving 50...I am assuming that to replace both of these I will have to pull the motor correct? I am at work and dont have my bibles with me.
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

when my head gasket blew this winter it sounded very similar, it idled fine but as soon as rpms increased there was the knock. Check the oil for coolant and the coolant for oil, and do a compression test of each cylinder.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --