Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New front crossmember

Default New front crossmember

I need a new front crossmember for my SIII 109, but no one, including our hosts, have one in stock. Now what?
    '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

Try Ike at Pangolin4x4.com

Do you mean the front bumper, or front crossmember? The crossmember is an integral part of the frame, through which the steering relay passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post
    Do you mean the front bumper, or front crossmember? The crossmember is an integral part of the frame, through which the steering relay passes.
    I'm talking about the front crossmember, not the bumper. Mine is rusted through and needs to be cut out and replaced with fresh metal and a new steering gear.

Highly recommend the power steering conversion over the stock steering. I mean as long as you're going to all that trouble and taking the front end apart...
    I did it years ago and boy what a difference.
    This way you can get away with simply replacing the front x member with a box section of new metal that anyone can fabricate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
    Highly recommend the power steering conversion over the stock steering. I mean as long as you're going to all that trouble and taking the front end apart...
    I did it years ago and boy what a difference.
    This way you can get away with simply replacing the front x member with a box section of new metal that anyone can fabricate.

But then you don't get huge guns like I've got from turning the wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    But then you don't get huge guns like I've got from turning the wheel!
    so thats how you get all the ladies!
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Quote Originally Posted by bullstanky View Post
    I'm talking about the front crossmember, not the bumper. Mine is rusted through and needs to be cut out and replaced with fresh metal and a new steering gear.
    That should be an easy find with all the reframes going on. If you can't come up with one, I'll sawzall one out of a parts truck for you.

Found one, spent hours with the wire wheel to clean it up, had it galvanized, painted it, had the old one cut out and the new one welded in and gusseted, and after around a $1,200 investment, my rover now steers no better or worse than it did before, though it is nice to no longer be able to reach up inside the cross member from the bottom and grab handfuls of rusty metal.

The moral of the story, when looking at rover online that is listed as having "some rust", save your time and look elsewhere. I've already spent more on the frame of this truck than some really cool rigs are listed for. Before my next series purchase I'll be looking for the following magic words "galvanized frame".

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  112.2 KB

My new front horn it all of it's flat black rustoleum glory!