Thread: Defender Swivel Ball Replacement

Default Defender Swivel Ball Replacement

Got tired of the Rover marking it's spot(s)on the pavement. Actually the the wife got tired of it, and "suggested" I should do something about the constant "mess"(?)it keeps making.
    So, I dug into the front end yesterday. Seems the swivel balls are shot. So after searching the web for alternative remedies, I'll be calling our sponsers for the appropriate replacement items.
    Meanwhile, who else has replaced their swivel balls?
    I've seen on the web that there are coated ones available also.(Teflon?) Anyone tried these, and what has been your first hand, real world(mud,crud,salt,abuse) results/reviews?

It's not the swivels balls themselves, it the swivel seals. Much cheaper and easier replacement.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

I have seen a few where it was the swivel ball actually. They had very heavy pitting and even a new seal would not have helped. However, it's generally just a seal like KevinNY stated.
    knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

No, it's the balls... Large sections of the chrome have come off. They don't make a seal that could survive running over these craters. I was going to cheat the seals in for a quicky fix, until I saw the chunks missing. Now it's the long $$$ way.

If the pitting is that bad you may be screwed. I had some minor pits and filled them with JB weld and then polished them down.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
    If the pitting is that bad you may be screwed. I had some minor pits and filled them with JB weld and then polished them down.
    I tried that once on an old toyota axle. it worked for about a month.
    What about some rubber gaiters for your new Balls?
    67 angry hamsters